Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using stock UDK assets in commercial software

Hi guys,

I am just wondering what your guys' opinion is on using stock UDK assets in a commercial software release, particularly a game.

Is it not allowed, is it just unethical, or is it completely okay? I believe one man game studios have a more difficult time attaining good looking, royalty free, textures than larger studios. Especially considering lone developers must develop almost every piece of the game from scratch. I am already using many custom textures in my game.

Autodesk offers a request form submittal that can be used to gain permission for use of their material library under some circumstances. Does UDK work in a similar way?

You're not allowed to use any of the supplied assets in a commercial release I'm afraid. There are plenty of people who will volunteer for something like that but you can't expect them to do loads.

Comment

Actually, you can. But with one exception, like it says in the UDK FAQ.
      Q: Can I release a commercial game that uses the “Unreal Tournament 3” assets included with UDK?

A: Yes, with one exception. You may not release anything marked as a SkeletalMesh in the Content Browser in a commercial UDK application.

Comment

Originally posted by HRuivo View Post
        Actually, you can. But with one exception, like it says in the UDK FAQ.
        My bad . Could have sworn it said otherwise, then again, I hadn't seen that section on the FAQ

Comment

Working...
        X