Maya UV mapping and unwrap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I decided to look for a Roadkill update and you can use live unwrap inside of maya with multiple uv channels. boo-ya

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Look up the roadkill vids on youtube...that should be sufficient

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The very first thing you need to do when starting UV layout is to have a plan on how you are going to texture the object. Then look at your object and decide where the shells are going to be.

I swear by Roadkill. My workflow for something like what you have would be to export the obj from Maya, load it into roadkill, press "E" for edge select mode, select the whole object and then press "W" for weld. This makes a terrible looking mess but for now trust me. Make sure LCSM is on because it handles manufactured type shapes better while off makes better organic shells.
    Next I turn on the "don't select backfaces" option.
    Next I press the right arrow several times to increase the checker tiling so it's easier on the eyes
    Now I go through and trace the shell borders and press "C" for cut.
    If you have a series of edges that are in a fairly straight line you can select the first edge, then move to the last edge and holding down "T" you can click the last edge and Roadkill will select all edges along the shortest path between the two selected edges which may or may not be what you intended depending on the topology.
    Once my shells are cut up, I change the texture from checkers to show stretch to double-check for any problems or spots I may have missed or misjudged.
    Save or obj and reimport to Maya.
    In the uv texture editor window for the object go to file>layout uvs [] and bring up the options
    From the default settings you probably only have to change the Rotate option to free
    This should repack the UVs pretty efficiently.

The only thing I wish Roadkill did was handle multiple uv channels. That would absolutely make my day.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks guys

I've tried Roadkill, but I'm not sure how it works, I don't really know how to use it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Roadkill doesnt have to be a plugin...it can work as a standalone program. U can export your mesh as an obj and then reimport the uved mesh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Moving and sewing became second nature to me, which with time would happen with anyone. One other method is to select all the faces you want as a single shell and do a series of planar projections on different axis. There really is no quick "unwrap these UVs for me" method to creating 3D assets, especially when they become more complex than the one you showed here. It's just part of the process that we have to live with.

If you're willing to spend money, look up Headus UVLayout. It's a stand alone program that is probably as close as you can get to not having to do a lot of manual labor to unwrap UV's, but even with that there's necessary cleanup in your 3D app required.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JessieG View Post
    What you'd probably want to do if you don't want to use a plug-in, is do an automatic unwrap, which by the looks of this mesh should do fairly decently, then do some move and sew's to stitch the pieces together in a way that optimizes the UV space.
    Thanks, this is what I tried. It's kind of painful though, is it really supposed to take this long with every asset? There are a lot of tiny pieces to sew.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What you'd probably want to do if you don't want to use a plug-in, is do an automatic unwrap, which by the looks of this mesh should do fairly decently, then do some move and sew's to stitch the pieces together in a way that optimizes the UV space.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    U could download roadkill. Very effective uv unwrapping program

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Maya UV mapping and unwrap question

Maya UV mapping and unwrap question

What's the fastest and most efficient way to unwrap models?

For instance, the above image, what's the fastest way to unwrap this?

I was thinking about using planar projection, but then the undersides of the ledges, how do I get those to match up?
Working...
X