Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Texturing character workflow. Is this possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texturing character workflow. Is this possible?

I'm new o this kind of work, i would like to know if this procedure can do the job in a fastest way (or more useful way) than using the UVW Template method.

1) Create one tga file with the textures of every part of the character (armor front, armor back, face, ...).
    2) Importing in photoshop the 3d model of the character.
    3) Adjust the different texture's part to fit the character's part.
    4) In the modeling program (i'm trying to use 3d studio now), import the tga file and create one material to apply on each part of the character (in 3d studio using the alignment property in the gizmo and the manipulate).
    Align the different part of the material to the correct part of the model.

Am i doing a mess?

That's not how you apply textures to models.

What you need to do is create a UVMap based on your model, you then render out that UVMap and use it as a template for texturing.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
      That's not how you apply textures to models.

What you need to do is create a UVMap based on your model, you then render out that UVMap and use it as a template for texturing.
      I'm reading some books and studying a little bit because i know nothing about this. I read about the use of UVMap and the uvmap tamplate, but i've seen this tutorial:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLeH25ErPk
      and i'm trying to understand if is possible (and convenient) with photoshop using directly the 3d model.

Comment

Not much to talk about workflow. I mostly bake textures in max. Then I edit them or give 'em to someone for hand painting.

zBrush polypaint or even better IMO mudbox for character texturing.

I usually dont use UVs for base texturing.

I render to texture complete map and/or diffuse in max. Then in PS I paint on it.

If you know nothing about this you should start with basic things. Model a table and texture it. Finish it.
        Take something more complex. Watch tutorials. But you must do borring things in order to learn interesting ones.

There are 3 ways of doing textures.
        by editing images - good for doing realistic textures
        by painting whole textures by hand - IMO hardest, best for cartoonish and unrealistic textures
        by polypaint - depends

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan84 View Post
          I'm reading some books and studying a little bit because i know nothing about this. I read about the use of UVMap and the uvmap tamplate, but i've seen this tutorial:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsLeH25ErPk
          and i'm trying to understand if is possible (and convenient) with photoshop using directly the 3d model.
          No, you can't simply texture an image of the model, it's just an image. You can't import models into a photo editor.

Comment

And if you're using 3ds Max 2012 then you can actually paint directly onto the model, it's a tool called Viewport Canvas. Max 2010 and 2011 have it, but in those versions you paint on the viewport and it gets projected onto the model, in Max 2012 it's updated so you can paint directly onto the model, plus it adds a lot of essential painting tools.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerija View Post
              Not much to talk about workflow. I mostly bake textures in max. Then I edit them or give 'em to someone for hand painting.
              There are 3 ways of doing textures.
              by editing images - good for doing realistic textures
              by painting whole textures by hand - IMO hardest, best for cartoonish and unrealistic textures
              by polypaint - depends
              As far as the polypainting goes, some might not know this (I didn't) but 3dsmax 2012 version, is like leaps and bounds ahead of 2010 versions (one I was using). I'm sure you know this Tigerija, but OP might not.

3ds2012 actually has the poly paint built in now, so we dont need to worry about learning a wonky, noobified, interface (zbrush!) or grappling with many new programs. It very nearly cuts photoshop out of the loop (close!) and while I havent mastered the toolpanel settings for it yet, I've found it amazingly useful for getting my mesh textured without spending 6 hours stitching UVs togethor. With this method on most shapes can just unwrap uvw, flatten, collapse, and paint!

LOL what darkviper said! I fell asleep and finished the post when I woke up, hadnt seen it lol.

Comment

No, you can't simply texture an image of the model, it's just an image. You can't import models into a photo editor.
                You actually can pull a 3d model into photoshop and paint on it.
                It doesnt work very well but there is a '3d' section.

Comment

yes you can. The extended versions of PS have this option for a good while now. However you probably don't want to. Even Viewport canvas in 3DS max works better but I would choose Mudbox for the "hand" texture painting at any time.

Comment

Not what I was talking about, but whatever.

Comment

It's completely possible to import a model as an OBJ into photoshop and use projections to add images to models as textures, though the model still needs proper, nonoverlapping UVs laid out for it.

Say you have a picture of a shield that you want to use on a shield model you created. AFTER unwrapping the UVs (Still a necessary step regardless of how you texture your model) you import the OBJ into photoshop as a layer, then make a new layer on top of it with the picture of the shield. Line up the picture with the shield OBJ and simply merge that layer down onto the OBJ layer. Clicking on the texture will open up a separate window showing you how that image was baked into a separate texture that fits with the UV layout. There's still a considerably large amount of fixing up that has to be done to the texture, but it's a good way to get the base images onto the model if your UV unwrap is an odd shape. I generally don't use this method personally because photoshop tends to be kind of unpredictable when projecting onto 3D models.

Comment

Working...
                      X