Fur Shaders within UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fur Shaders within UDK

Hey all, I've been currently looking around an awful lot of places in search for ways in which to create fur within a game engine, ideally UDK. So far I've played around with what a poster posted in here http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...material/page2 but am having difficulties getting the fur to splay outwards. Although I would like to get something closer to http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...Fur-shader-WIP due to the softness. I'm aiming for this fur to be used on a cat like race so it wouldn't have to be used for very long hair and if adjustable in length in anyway that would work treat. I'm fairly comfortable with using UDK and can work the material editor enough so I don't get too lost, if anyone would be able to help point me in the right direction on how to go about all this it'd be very much appreciated and will gladly credit those who have helped.

You could just fake it on the diffuse map, and texture it to look like fur, for example, a Khajit from Elder Scrolls. And any place the fur might be a little longer, you could use alpha maps. Most furry animals in-game use alpha maps. I think a fur shader sounds complicated, and doesn't look too good on that mammoth example... and it might use more resources. I don't have experience with fur materials, but if your characters are going to have basically short hair, alpha's might be the way to go.

Comment

You've probably heard about Rareware and their StarFox series, especially if you ever owned a SNES or an N64. Well, their 1st game on the Gamecube, Starfox: Adventures, seems to have been the 1st, and maybe the only game, even now AFAIK, to use a REAL 3D fur-shader, with no compromise. Because of that feature alone, the game was seen as a graphical masterpiece, FAR ahead of the PS2 or the XBOX. The biggots at Microsoft claimed that ONLY XBOX could pull off true fur-shading, but the Gamecube proved them wrong and made the 1st move.

The main character has true wireframe fur which reacts realistically to wind and other stimuli. Its not even faked using "curved planes+alpha textures" like in most games. Its REAL. This is something that was only ever done in cinematic cutscenes before that point (the Tekken 2 intro sequence for example). Anyway, my point is that, if this was possible nearly 10 years ago with MUCH older technology, then it MUST be possible, and easier to achieve with modern cutting edge technology such as the UE. Its already been done in 2 console games (Starfox on the GC, and later in the remake of Conkers bad fur day on XBOX)

Maybe vertex shading is the answer. I refuse to believe that so many years later, this is still not possible in such a popular and powerful game engine. It probably just requires endless pages of programming, and thinking SO far out of the box, that the box no longer exists. Faking things is all well and good, but in cases where its proven to be possible years in advance, I think that would be reverse logic.

Comment

Working...
      X