Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about normal maps (blender & gimp)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about normal maps (blender & gimp)

Hey all,<br>well at first, I use blender and gimp. My question is pretty simple.<br><br>While reading tutorials for blender "support" in udk, I found information indicating that blender might not use default colors for creating normal maps. (e.g. red and green might be mixed up). Well those who are experienced with blender n gimp might know what i mean.<br><br>So do I have pay attention to this? What do I have to know if I want to have correctly normalmaps created by blender (bake) and gimp (plugin)?

In Blender, you shouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary when baking normals (except for selecing "Tangent"). In GIMP, you may have to invert the Y color (iirc). I have done both with success.

Comment

Originally posted by F4ll_ouT View Post
      I found information indicating that blender might not use default colors for creating normal maps. (e.g. red and green might be mixed up).
      Colors won't be me mixed up but the green channel is inverted, this will cause lights above or below a surface casting shadows at the opposite direction.
      Gimp will give you by default a correct normal map (for the use with UE3), so make sure the 'invert y' option is unchecked.
      Besides you can easily invert the normal map within the material editor by multiplying it with a Constant3Vector of (1,-1,1).

P.s. we have a user group here for Unreal Blender users, feel free to join: http://forums.epicgames.com/group.php?groupid=564

Comment

Originally posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
        Colors won't be me mixed up but the green channel is inverted, this will cause lights above or below a surface casting shadows at the opposite direction.
        Gimp will give you by default a correct normal map (for the use with UE3), so make sure the 'invert y' option is unchecked.
        Besides you can easily invert the normal map within the material editor by multiplying it with a Constant3Vector of (1,-1,1).
        I don't want to second guess you Malk, but in GIMP, shouldn't the Y be inverted (at least for UT 3 editor). I presume the same is for UDK?

Comment

I just tested it again before posting (Gimp 2.6) and the y/green channel should not be inverted. The result is equal to the PS normal map plugin. There is no difference between UT3 and UDK. But I was wrong when I told told you blenders normal maps are ok to use with UE3, they have the green channel inverted.

Comment

Working...
          X