Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me with lightmaps and weird artifacts!(Maya 2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with lightmaps and weird artifacts!(Maya 2012)

I have a problem that involves weird artifacts on my models when i import them into udk.

In the editor:
    -I use 1 dominant light.
    -I use ambient occlusion on/off.

In maya:
    -I made a custom lightmap.
    -Export it as .FBX

I made some screenshots:
    In Maya 3d (This is my model)

In Maya 3d (This is my lightmap uv)

In UDK (This is with ambient occlusion checked off - Notice the shadow spots?)

In UDK (This is with ambient occlusion checked on - Notice the shadow spots?)

In UDK (This is with ambient occlusion checked on - Notice i'ts perfect when it's in the light?)

I don't understand what i'm doing wrong or were it's going wrong.
    The mesh works fine with no ugly shadows when its standing the light but when it stands in a darker area with shadows then the mesh gets ugly shadows and seams.

Can someone help me?

You might want to read through this thread for some info.

Comment

Did you place a LightMassImportanceVolume around the visible area of your map?

To get rid of the seams, you'll need to setup your lightmap UVs differently. Have a look at this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html and the excellent example that Odedge provided in the quoted thread.

Comment

Originally posted by benfranke View Post
        Did you place a LightMassImportanceVolume around the visible area of your map?

To get rid of the seams, you'll need to setup your lightmap UVs differently. Have a look at this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html and the excellent example that Odedge provided in the quoted thread.
        I did place a light importance volume in the map yes.

And i will look into both you links!

Comment

Ok i for the sake of it still can't figure it out i read through the links you posted and i tried but i still get weird spots and bad seems.

Comment

Originally posted by STRIMIX View Post
            Ok i for the sake of it still can't figure it out i read through the links you posted and i tried but i still get weird spots and bad seems.
            EDIT: Ok i just used auto triangulate in maya on my mesh and i kinda got a little bit less shadow blops on my mesh tho they are still there and the seems are there also but it's weird because some parts of the map the meshes don't have seems and on other parts they do while they are the same mesh.

EDIT: Ok so ive messed around with this all day now and i'ts a pain in the ###.
            Ive got to this stage were i worked away the seems mostly.

New Lightmap UV:

Ingame with ambient occlusion on:

Comment

Originally posted by STRIMIX View Post

New Lightmap UV:

Glad you are solving the problem. But you can still connect these even more and make them bigger. Use as much of the spaces in the UV editor (for Maya) as you can.

Comment

Im having seem problems yet again i made a modular sidewalk but its got seems i am confused again now i was wondering if. Shud and can change the grid size in my uv editor in maya and if so how can i do this and to what size should i set it?

Comment

No, don't change the grid size - the lightmaps must fit between [0,0] and [1,1] in UV space or you'll get overlapping shadows. However, you can change the resolution of the lightmap that UDK will bake out by checking the properties in the static mesh editor (when you double click your mesh in the content browser). Esp given that you're already wasting about 60% of your lightmap texture - if it's baking out to an image size of 32 pixels x 32 pixels then yeah, your shadows are going to be super blocky and have artifacts all over.

Comment

Working...
                  X