• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    "the ways is better" hrmmmm.....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love using 3ds max because the ways is better than maya...maya like confusing a bit

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Stupid Answer But Makes Sense:

Maya - for maya users
    3ds Max- for 3ds max users
    Blender - for Blender users
    Softimage- for softimage users

And

3dsoftware - for %3dsoftware users

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Believe it or not, I've been gaining real ground on SoftImage/XSI modeling myself, and to me, that does rather decent with UDK as well, imo.
    Hard to believe how much neglected this tool is in the industry, it really has its potential, especially if procedural modeling/technical modeling is your cup of tea.

(Yeah, I will admit it, I have been using Mod Tool 7.5, not the real SoftImage that is used today)

Even so, I still would prefer SoftImage over Houdini, tho. I'm pretty sure that there will be those that will still agree with that.
    EDIT: Oops, looks like shuriken88 brought up SoftImage, but hey, at least he agrees that it's a neglected tool, and should be given more due attention.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What about Cinema 4D, I've heard thats a good one, and theres another rare one, that was used to make all the models in Metal Gear Solid 4, cant remember what it was called. Soft-Image or something. Personally I use Max. Its suited me fine so far.

At the end of the day I think its all a matter of preference. Find your element, and stick with it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Max has better Boolean tools, I'll give it that. I still model faster in Maya since I've been used to it.

I still switch around at times. Both are about the same.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I got taught Maya at Uni too but it only took me a few weeks to get used to the Max UI and modifier stack and from personal experience its a fair bit easier to make UDK stuff than in Maya thats my 2p's worth also get a copy of http://www.amazon.com/3ds-Max-2012-B.../dp/B005DIAPTK its a pretty good reference.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Both Maya and Max have the same compatibility towards the Unreal Engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They both should get the job done for sure. At my college we use Maya only, so once I worked with it a few years I pretty much have gotten down a majority of what I need to work efficiently. Mac confuses me A LOT only because I'm not used to the menus and methods of doing things I normally do in maya. But I know many people who swear by Max and prefer it. Some people say UV mapping in maya is awful, but I use Headus for the most part so it's not a problem. It's all about choosing a program you like and learning a good workflow that makes your work a lot more comfortable, not which one is more used in the industry. When it comes down to it, the polygons used are more important than where those polygons came from.

As for compatibility with UDK, Epic uses Max, but I use maya and have no issues getting anything I make into UDK.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah... That's what I said, it's a toss up between them. I prefer Maya for the better control over your model, and is easier to model in for me, but I have a soft spot for 3ds Max since it can export and import more formats and the UVW controls are better in Max...so I'm definitely not impartial to either one. Although it seems like I'm the only one that wishes that SoftImage would be getting better respect, tho, which is sad...but hey, at least we can all agree that anything with Autodesk in the name, you won't go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by WOBBLER View Post
    Epic use Max for modeling and Maya for animation.
    I'm equally fluent in both and that's exactly what I did until recently. Polygon modeling is faster and more intuitive in Max. But I end up using Maya more because doing light modeling in Maya is faster than switching back and forth. I only used Max for heavy polygon modeling... which doesn't occur often thesedays as I now prefer Mudbox for character modeling. So I'm using Max less and less. In my opinion, Max is a bit easier to learn and use but Maya has a bit faster workflow once you get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Either one will work fine. Some say Maya is a little bit better geared towards animation but the truth is it doesn't really matter which you choose/use. Go with which one you like.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Epic use Max for modeling and Maya for animation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    3ds Max is clearly the way forward, far prefer the modifier stack to maya's toolbars

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The CAT animation system in 3ds Max is much better than any of the animation tools available in Maya. I personally use 3ds Max, but Maya is pretty good too. I'd suggest that you try out both and see which one you like better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X