Maya or 3DS Max: Which works better with the UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya or 3DS Max: Which works better with the UDK

I am currently learning Maya, but it seems that 3DS Max is more commonly used for game creation. Since I am currently using the student editions, switching won't cost me anything. If it make sens to switch to 3DS max, how much stuff would I have to relearn, and would it really be worth the effort?

UDK is generally streamlined for 3ds Max, but you can use whichever you prefer just fine.

Comment

I did hear that rigging is much easier in 3DS max. Is that true?

Comment

Why don't you try them out and see which one you like better? Mostly it's about interface, although 3ds Max has some excellent modeling tools that no other programs have.

Comment

Then you have XSI, which has a different toolset, but it'll also work with UDK as well. Sorry about throwing the middleman in this, but that's the third, but almost forgotten modeling tool from Autodesk's line.
          However, if you are torn between 3ds max or Maya, I'm more of a proponent of Maya, only because I'm more of a fan of the turntable viewport (3ds max has a turntable perspective view, but Maya's is better to control). All in all, no matter which of these three you choose, you can be sure that they are all good for UDK use.

Comment

The CAT animation system in 3ds Max is much better than any of the animation tools available in Maya. I personally use 3ds Max, but Maya is pretty good too. I'd suggest that you try out both and see which one you like better.

Comment

3ds Max is clearly the way forward, far prefer the modifier stack to maya's toolbars

Comment

Epic use Max for modeling and Maya for animation.

Comment

Either one will work fine. Some say Maya is a little bit better geared towards animation but the truth is it doesn't really matter which you choose/use. Go with which one you like.

Comment

Originally posted by WOBBLER View Post
                    Epic use Max for modeling and Maya for animation.
                    I'm equally fluent in both and that's exactly what I did until recently. Polygon modeling is faster and more intuitive in Max. But I end up using Maya more because doing light modeling in Maya is faster than switching back and forth. I only used Max for heavy polygon modeling... which doesn't occur often thesedays as I now prefer Mudbox for character modeling. So I'm using Max less and less. In my opinion, Max is a bit easier to learn and use but Maya has a bit faster workflow once you get used to it.

Comment

Yeah... That's what I said, it's a toss up between them. I prefer Maya for the better control over your model, and is easier to model in for me, but I have a soft spot for 3ds Max since it can export and import more formats and the UVW controls are better in Max...so I'm definitely not impartial to either one. Although it seems like I'm the only one that wishes that SoftImage would be getting better respect, tho, which is sad...but hey, at least we can all agree that anything with Autodesk in the name, you won't go wrong.

Comment

They both should get the job done for sure. At my college we use Maya only, so once I worked with it a few years I pretty much have gotten down a majority of what I need to work efficiently. Mac confuses me A LOT only because I'm not used to the menus and methods of doing things I normally do in maya. But I know many people who swear by Max and prefer it. Some people say UV mapping in maya is awful, but I use Headus for the most part so it's not a problem. It's all about choosing a program you like and learning a good workflow that makes your work a lot more comfortable, not which one is more used in the industry. When it comes down to it, the polygons used are more important than where those polygons came from.

As for compatibility with UDK, Epic uses Max, but I use maya and have no issues getting anything I make into UDK.

Comment

Both Maya and Max have the same compatibility towards the Unreal Engine.

Comment

I got taught Maya at Uni too but it only took me a few weeks to get used to the Max UI and modifier stack and from personal experience its a fair bit easier to make UDK stuff than in Maya thats my 2p's worth also get a copy of http://www.amazon.com/3ds-Max-2012-B.../dp/B005DIAPTK its a pretty good reference.

Comment

Max has better Boolean tools, I'll give it that. I still model faster in Maya since I've been used to it.

I still switch around at times. Both are about the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X