I don't know how to texture a static mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    oh wow, an other reply! oh this is going better then i had hoped. I have been looking at the tutorials and by golly are they helpful. and the idea is that people will be able to build their own ships with Modules (cockpits, decks, hallways, hangers,) and build the modules with parts (lights, vents, powercables, locks, windows) to modify the stats and look and use of the modules. so i will open the floor, bullkheads, and hull in separate sceens and try and figure out the uv unwrap there. as it stands it's far to complicated to un warp. Again thanks for the fast and helpful replies. i hope i'm able to help people in this forum in the future with what i have learned here.

thanks
    Dagoon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would learn to UV mapping manually before doing any automated method. If you are going to be using these pieces of a lot, you could possibly get away with having them as 2 separate pieces (hallway + door frame) and use the door frame twice?

The benefit is that you can have more UV space dedicated to textures, usually resulting in higher quality.

Another issue is collision. You can make custom collision shapes in Blender and have them imported into UDK. The simpler the shape, the easier it is to do. It's usually a balancing act to make sure all of the "requirements' are done.

In my signature are some links that can help you out with the Blender side of things.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the fast reply! so i'll join all the meshes together then do a smart uv unwrap if i understand you correctly. save that uv as a image and open it in gimp. i'll give it a try and see how it goes. also just wanted to point out that your replies in other threads have really helped me out, and thanks for the help.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If it will be one mesh in UDK, it will have to be UVmap as one part. Otherwise the UVs will overlap, meaning you can only fit the texture of one of the objects, and the other will recieve the wrong textures. After unwrapping, you save it as image to use as a template in an image editor and start drawing away.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic I don't know how to texture a static mesh

I don't know how to texture a static mesh

So I have been looking in to how someone would import a .ase file in to UDK from blender, i have the plugin and what not. But I'm that reading it needs to be UV unwrapped and textured. It's a hallway for a space craft, it's made of different parts. Do I use this uv unwrapping option on each individual part or should I join all the meshes together and un wrap it as a whole? I'm really new to this and have looked up alot of tutorials to get this far and this is the first post so I appologize in advance if it's in the wrong area.

Also was also wondering if I make the lighting for the model in Blender or add it in UDK.

thanks

dagoon
Working...
X