Uvw unwrapping channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uvw unwrapping channels

HI just started more in depth with making some of my own models and painting which brought me to UVW mapping/unwrapping. I believe within the UDK(static mesh editor) it states that objects should use channel 1 for the UV's for optimum lighting results. What is the difference between Channel 0 and 1. Does the channel 0 import in as a default map no matter even if I optimized a channel for use with channel 1? Also I see there are channels 3 and 4. One of the domes in UDK use 4 UV channels what are the other channels used for? Separate parts of the dome maybe layered parts? What are some common uses and benefits for using 4 UV channels...Are 4 UV channels, basically only used on domes??

Typically you've got UV channel 0 which is for your regular textures, your material. Then you would have UV channel 1 which would be for your lightmap UV's. Main difference between the two is that the lightmap UV's have to fit in the 1x1 space and there can't be any overlapping/inverted faces.

You can use other UV channels if you want to add different mapping for your textures within a material. As an example, say you've got some type of hologram character with a regular texture, you might have an additional UV channel where you can drop a panner texture so that it makes it look like the hologram has a light beam going down.

Comment

K thx that helps. I just started with a simple box and mapped with channel 1. Everything good so far except a couple minor mistakes. I imported the box into the UDK but had to use their channel optimizer to produce a channel 1 for me because I didn't export, render or bake the UVW channel unwrap properly that I made with it?? Material on the box was fine though lol

Comment

If you're using 3ds Max, it starts at channel 1. UDK starts at channel 0

So in Max the first channel=1
        In UDK the first channel=0

Comment

Thats cool man, thanks, I'm gonna try something like that. Till now I've only been using 1 texture map and a lightmap channel for my models.

Comment

You can use one UV channel for both (if your texture UV's qualify for lightmap UV's) but you need to set UDK to use the 0 channel for your lightmaps, otherwise it won't render the lighting.

Comment

Working...
            X