Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about the texturing on Epic Citadel

Hey Guys,

I'm studying game art and recently opened the Epic citadel map in UDK hoping to learn from it.
    And I did, it really helps trying to figure out the tricks behind cool stuff.

But then I have two questions regarding the texturing part on it, something is really intriguing me about how the roads and the terrain texturing were handled.

1) I've noticed that the road in the castle (and it goes the same for the one outside), has just a simple texture tiled all the way along, nothing fancy BUT you can notice on the 2nd image below that the texture follows the curvature of the edge flow underneath it!

The UVs don't seem to be layed out in a particular way. I dont understand how they got this to behave that way with just a tileable texture.
    If anyone knows how they did that I'd be glad to hear it.

( PLUS for the outside road, not only is the texture of the road tiling and following the edge flow, but it also seems to have been randomly flipped in U&V in order to avoid texture repetition. I can see there's more to it by looking at the texture in the texture property window, but I'll stick to that to avoid beeing too specific. )

the blue mark indicates the road repetition (and how the texture is randomly flipped)
    the green ones are for my next question, they indicate the tiling repetition

2) If we look at the outside, we can clearly see that Materials are procedurally applied on the terrain: vertical surfaces receive a Cliff Material when the more flat surfaces receive the Grass Material, and again we have the road I was talking about which is very precisely placed based on the underneath edge flow. How is that happening? Is there a MaterialId creation at some point? Did they use terrain, landscape or something else? I'm lost here

Hope I didn't lost you, those might be dumm questions or I might be looking too far.

Thanks in advance guys.

While there's actually a UT200x map called CTF-Citadel, it is clearly not even remotely related to "Epic Citadel", which is an iOS demo. You might want to pick a different subforum to ask about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
      While there's actually a UT200x map called CTF-Citadel, it is clearly not even remotely related to "Epic Citadel", which is an iOS demo. You might want to pick a different subforum to ask about that.
      Preferably here.

But I think you can send a PM to the admin Flak to get your thread relocated so you don't have to repost it.

Comment

Oh yeah sorry folks, it was late night here...I really thought I was into the UDK section. I'll send a PM to Flak as you suggested.

Comment

since it's a map for mobile it doesn't use terrains but instead it uses Static Meshes
          so everything is handled in SM UV layouts
          for texture blending - they used vertex color blending

you can check these meshes and their UVs and materials (and whatever else you need) inside UDK

click on a mesh then Ctrl B to find it in content browser, open it in SM editor
          there is a small UV icon in top left corner that will toggle display of UV layouts and next to it you can choose which UV layout you want to see displayed in SM editor

PS
          I strongly recommend going through UDK tutorials / videos and checking and playing with assets that come with UDK

Comment

Working...
          X