Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3ds Max - Removing unwanted edges without removing the face.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3ds Max - Removing unwanted edges without removing the face.

Hi,

I am working on a small indoor level and used ACE to create the walls. I then created the window and door openings with Proboolean. The problem is, there are some extra edges from one opening corner to another opening and I really don't understand why they're there. If I delete them the face disappears. When I try to remove them nothing happens. I tried both ctrl+backspace and backspace but they're not doing anything in this case.

My question is, what is the easiest way to deal with these unwanted edges. The faces are all straight walls so I don't see the need for these edged and would like to get rid of them to simplify and get the model to be convex. Thanks.

I think I need to add few more segments before doing the openings.

Comment

Don't use booleans to make simple things like doors and windows, it's much easier to add edges and use extrude or whatever to make those. Booleans will almost always make issues.

Comment

Yeah, boolean operations are often very messy. If you're going to use them, I highly recommend using the STL Check modifier afterwards. It will highlight problem areas (like gaps in your mesh) which makes finding and fixing them easier.

To remove edges without removing a face, click the remove button while selecting your offending edge. Generally, you'll have to then change to the vertex sub-object level (press 1) and remove the verticies that connected the edge.

What version of 3ds Max are you using? Another option is to use the Step Build tool in the ribbon and Ctrl+Alt click the edge you want to remove. There are some useful retopology tools in 3ds Max 2012, you can find a decent overview here: http://www.offsetnull.com/3ds-max/retopology-tools/

Comment

You can hold the CTRL button while clicking Remove and it'll remove the vertices that are no longer needed as well.

Comment

Agreed 100% about the booleans, just stay away from them, especially if you're new to modelling. The amount of times I've seen screwed up topology due to booleans is mind boggling (although lightwave seems to do a good job with them). You're (the OP) much better off just cutting or quickslicing and bridging or creating new poly's when making doors/windows.

And definitely check the link from kaleden if you are using a newer version of max.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
              You can hold the CTRL button while clicking Remove and it'll remove the vertices that are no longer needed as well.
              Mind == blown. You, sir, deserve a cookie.

Comment

Working...
              X