First attempt at trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First attempt at trees

My first attempt at making trees and it's taken me quite a lot of frustration as well as time! But it seems to look okay but not the best the textures aren't applied properly since I only applied them in blender and not in photoshop yet.

u don't use speedtree?

Comment

No I didn't use speedtree because I wanted to learn how to model trees manually And I don't know how to use speedtree yet so that's also another reason.

Fixed the alpha and UV unwrap rotation problem, The stretched trunk texture still remains.

Comment

is your trunk a seperate UV channel from the branches? If so you can increase the tiling and fix the stretching problem(providing the texture is tile able)

Comment

Originally posted by Myrkr View Post
          is your trunk a seperate UV channel from the branches? If so you can increase the tiling and fix the stretching problem(providing the texture is tile able)
          Good point and it will help with modularity static mesh placement.

Nice work on the models. For what it's worth and if you are interested... if your willing to share these with the community, I can either host the file or would like to add it to my Resources page on my site.

Comment

I don't think they're ready to be shared yet I actually imported them into UDK but from underneath the leaves were invisible for some reason. Also I need to learn how to import the textures and turn them into a material. I don't want to share something and then disappoint people

Comment

I hear you and the offer will stand at any time. Given that these could be use any any map, that makes them a good candidate for others to use. Just let me know. As for the leaves, you might want to make them a double sided material, assuming the mesh for that part is a plane. If you want to share your work, it's best to have them in the raw format (textures and .ase file), so it's not limited to just the UDK editor.

Comment

Odedge I totally agree with you about the .ase format I'll export in .ase instead of fbx from now on and yes I want to contribute as soon as my work is good enough Here is a second plant with an improved method using textures for the leaves instead of modelling them myself.

Now once I've "perfected" foliage I'll contribute the good ones trees and plants

Comment

Looking good. You can PM me when you are ready with your models. Keep up the good work. Also, if you feel up to making a tutorial, I can host that as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X