First successful import into UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First successful import into UDK

Finally after one week of searching and trying to get the ASE exporter for blender 2.59 to work I gave up and then figured that UDK can use fbx formats so I exported my models from blender as .fbx files and imported them and hooray it worked but I did read a post somewhere that fbx formats cause some smoothing issues I don't know if that's true but I do find my models a bit funny looking especially the m16.

Congrats on getting your models into the editor. I use the UT 3 editor and use MCampagnini's exporter (version 1.3.0), which should work great with Blender 2.59 (with the exception of vertex painting, as far as I know).

That being said, I have a specific Blender tutorial list for Blender 2.59 and how it relates to modeling for the Unreal editor. I also have a page that covers the 2 exporters, though I haven't tested with the 2.59 version of FBX and UDK.

Now it's time for you to get some proper textures on those meshes!

Comment

Yup! Texturing time soon! But before that I'm have a tutorial about modelling a tree i'm going to try and model a tree without the speedtree modifier because it's the same as learning how to count before using the calculator if you know what I mean I'll check your tutorials out too! About the MCampagnini's ASE exporter I tried that but didn't manage to get that to work yet. So that's why I decided to try fbx for now.

Comment

Regarding MCampagnini's ASE exporter, there are certain requirements. If you check that second link, I cover the requirements, which may not be obvious when you first use it, but are easy to understand. He has smooth group supports by marking edges as sharp.

Comment

Sweet then I'll try again I hope it works this time. Ah that I read that your requirements how to use the ASE exporter but it's not that, that's my problem it that I can't get the script to show up in blender for some reason? I put the python script in this: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.59\scripts\addons and then opened up blender and checked the export menu and it didn't show up I was also told it was in user preferences add-ons or something I did find it there and when I clicked install addon it didn't do anything but after that it started giving me this in the preferences menu: Multiple addons using the same name found! Likely a problem with the script search path.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagon19 View Post
            I put the python script in this: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.59\scripts\addons and then opened up blender and checked the export menu and it didn't show up I was also told it was in user preferences add-ons or something I did find it there and when I clicked install addon it didn't do anything but after that it started giving me this in the preferences menu: Multiple addons using the same name found! Likely a problem with the script search path.
            Make sure you have the 1.3.0 version (which is works for 2.59.

I have always opened up the User Preferences, select the "Add-Ons" tab, then select the "Install Add-On" button, find the file, then select the "Install Add-On" button from the file browerser menu. After you do this, it's added to Blender, but not activated.

While still in the Add-Ons section, select the "Import-Export" button on the left and make sure the "Community" button is checked. You should see his script as "Import-Export: ASCII Scene Exporter". Select the little box to the right and you are good to go.

I think you may need to save your User Preferences so it's always enabled? I always do this when I make a change that I want to keep as a default setting.

Comment

I did what you said and it seems to be working now it showed up nicely and I've saved it as the default setting except I did try and test it and export just a default cube but it didn't appear on the desktop? Maybe it's because I didn't uv unwrap it etc

Comment

Originally posted by Dagon19 View Post
                Maybe it's because I didn't uv unwrap it etc
                UV Wrapping is required for the export to work (since it's needed for all meshes). You don't need to unwrap UCX primitives though.

Comment

Is the soldier a skeletal mesh or static?

Comment

Static mesh no rigging as of yet still need to learn how to use UDK better.

Comment

Working...
                    X