Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blender skeletal meshes

Hi guys,
    I've been having some troubles importing a skeletal mesh vehicle from blender 2.59 into sept 2011 version of UDK. The problem seem to be that the skeleton has been translated and is not in the correct position as expected. Also, my bone weighting seems to be off as well. As a newbie to 3D modeling, are there any good tutorials for doing this with blender 2.59? Most of what I found is for previous versions of blender.

Thanks in advance!

Hi DemoMan2, i dont have any clue about blender but a tip, you can get 3ds max / maya for free in 3 years at http://students.autodesk.com/
    and that includes alot of other programs such as mudbox.

Just a quick tip

Comment

The one problem with blender is the tendency to click and thus move objects off of the origin.
      You need your mesh at 0,0,0,0.
      You need your armature / skeleton at 0,0,0,0.
      Then skin. Keep the dang things at 0,0,0,0.
      Watch many problems disappear.

Comment

Thank guys!
        That tip about 3D max is one I will be looking into for sure. I thought you could only get a 30 day trail on the software so I decided to try blender.

So if I have a model that's been moved or scaled in blender, what's the proper way to reset it's position for exporting. Can you do that after the model is rigged or do you need to redo the rigging?

Comment

nope... 3ds max + everything from autodesk is free for training purposes for 3 years...

Comment

That's so cool. Thanks for the tip guys!

Comment

Or if you can afford about $500 USD or so, you could even use Carrara 8.1 Professional, which was a tool I've been training on since mid-June. Sure, if might be a pain at the start, but once you've used it for a bit, it'll start to become a good modeling tool. It does export to .FBX just fine, and bakes the textures very easily. Might be almost as good as Blender, if not more so.

Comment

nope... 3ds max + everything from autodesk is free for training purposes for 3 years...
                but it's only for students, isn't it?

Comment

One of the problems with blender importing into UDK has to do with the scale of the model. Does this tool handle that part well or is it a pain to deal with?

Comment

Working...
                  X