Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static Mesh Collision setup

Hi,
    for example I wish to create wall mesh in my favorite 3D modeling tool , then I import the same wall mesh into the UDK content browser, how can I set up collisions for it ?

So for example when I put my wall into the level I wish to have some "primitive" collision volume around it, box collision volume will be the best choice for that situation.

PS.
    what's thype collision does UDK support , for example does support mesh collision or convex collision ?
    I see that UDK uses nVidia Physx for physics simulation so I assume that UDK support mesh collisions .
    And what's the story about animated mesh, for example humanoid one, does UDK callculate collision volumes arroud bones or do I need todo this proces by my self manualy ?

Thanks

Check out Hourences Basic Modeling tutorial. If you need a basic "box" collision that fits exactly around the mesh, the static mesh editor can do that for you. It can do more advanced setups, but you don't have much control.

You can create collision boxes in most modeling programs (I use Blender with MCampagnini's ASE exporter).

UDK supports convex collision. You need to names these "UCX_name" for it to work (example "UCX_1", "UCX_Box1", etc). You need to select them with the mesh when exporting as well.

I am not familiar with animated meshes, such as characters, but I presume it's similar.

Comment

Thanks man , did you mean this ASE exporter : http://campagnini.net/2011/04/16/ble...dk-ase-export/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by utech View Post
        Thanks man , did you mean this ASE exporter : http://campagnini.net/2011/04/16/ble...dk-ase-export/ ?
        That's the one.

Comment

For characters..
          Might want to watch the skeletal mesh videos.
          You will have to create a physics asset for the character inside of UDK.
          http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

Comment

Thanks, I working on my future skeletal mesh , and I have one question , how can I export multiple materials from Blender using the one skeletal mesh ?

For example if I have helmet, head and rest of the body , and I wish that every one of this unit have the some different material with assigned texture , how can I achive this , to be precise how can I export this to UDK from Blender.

Comment

I know you can with a static mesh, with MCampagnini's ASE exporter. Doesn't the latest version of Blender come with exporters for skeletal meshes? I believe there is a thread relating to these exporters in the UT 3 Level Editing forum?

With MCampagnini's exporter, each material must have a unique name, unique texture name, and unique image. But each exporter is different.

For what it's worth.

Comment

I think that there's support for ActorX with blender as well. ActorX is the tool I use in Maya for exporting.

As for different materials:
                I'm not sure how it is in Blender but in Maya you just assign different materials to your mesh and then export it with ActorX and they just follow through on their own. You don't even have to assign a texture map to the materials (only a lambert color). If your mesh has several material nodes when you inspect it, then it will most likely be exported to UDK via ActorX as well.

Comment

No Blender there is no ActorX support for Blender.
                  Any way thanks for help.

Comment

Does Blender allow you to export in FBX format?

Comment

yes, blender lets u export fbx. In version 2.9 , fbx support is good enough to export simple skeletal meshes. However, i still go for Darknets 2.3 PSK/PSA exporter. which works like charm.

@Utech
                      you could use different materials as well as multiple UV layouts with skeletal meshes in blender. (I think UDK supports 4 UV layouts for a single skeletal mesh)

Comment

Yes the Blender 2.59 have modified FBX exporter that's work's perfect in UDK.

Comment

Working...
                        X