Partial Stainless Steel Material help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Stainless Steel Material help

I have a turnstyle that I made in maya and textures for the material made in photoshop. I want to make the turning portion of the turn style as well as the very top to appear to be stainless steel (smooth surface with slight reflectivity or glare.) Is there a way to achieve this effect in the Material editor without making the entire model to appear to be stainless steel? I tried a few things but came no where close to figuring this out.

Jessie could you post a picture? It sounds like you just would need to;

Apply a Multi-Sub Material so that it uses more than one material, ideally though you'll want to unwrap and create a texture sheet for the model.

Comment

Thanks for the response! This is the turnstyle currently. I've put red arrows pointing out the areas I want to appear like stainless steal:

It may look like that part on the right is already looking a bit like steel, but I think that's just the angle I have it in the Mesh preview because in game it's just a matte gray color.

I basically want those parts to appear somewhat like this, just not as new looking:

I actually have it all unwrapped. Here is the UV layout with the arrow pointing out the UV shells of the parts I want to change:

So should I go back into Maya and apply a separate material to those parts then reimport the model into UDK with the extra material slot then make a separate glossy steel material for those parts? If so would you have an idea of what techniques to use in the material editor to get this effect? It's a little boggling right now to me haha.

Comment

No, you do not need to use a seperate material, what you need is a specular texture.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
          No, you do not need to use a seperate material, what you need is a specular texture.
          Well I made a spec map for it, but it doesn't seem to have a slight reflective quality to it. It's just silver with what looks like gloss over it.

Comment

For reflections you need to use a cubemap. There's also lot's of tweaking you can do with specular maps and specular power and normal maps which will yield vastly different results.

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
              For reflections you need to use a cubemap. There's also lot's of tweaking you can do with specular maps and specular power and normal maps which will yield vastly different results.
              Ah cube map! I knew there was a term I was forgetting. I'll look into using that then. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

A cubemap wouldn't be terribly good there, only REALLY reflective surfaces should require a cubemap. Graylord is correct, you need a proper spec map. Also, just to double check, after plugging in your spec map, are you putting a Constant into Specular Power? You might want to show us your spec map and your material setup to get any real feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X