Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specular Anomalies (Possibly a UV related issue?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specular Anomalies (Possibly a UV related issue?)

Hi, I have created part of a bridge and to maximize uv space, I created half of the bridge. I then did the UV map. After getting the UV map how I liked it, I flipped the geometry of the mesh so that it was mirroring.

In doing so, I may have caused an issue with the specular map. When I look at the bridge with the specular, I get seams right where the mesh was flipped.

Additionally, the bridge is repeating, and where the bridge repeats, I see seams in the specular.

Here is a screenshot of the problem

I have also seen this problem in certain BSP materials. Whenever I rotate a BSP material (a floor trim for example)... the specular creates a seam right where the 2 BSPs connect. Here is a screenshot of that as well:

Trim Specular Issue

I guess the UDK does not like it when you rotate a material, the specular gets confused. It seems to me like the specular should work according to camera position instead of material orientation. Is this possible?

If anybody can offer any ideas on how to solve these problems, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Neil

When you flip something it also inverts the normal maps, I don't think there's any way to get around it.

Comment

From what I understand is that you need your separate lightmass uvs to not be flipped for this to work, and you have to flip across the texture's x-axis.

The mirroring UVs section here might help.
      http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
        When you flip something it also inverts the normal maps, I don't think there's any way to get around it.
        The normal maps should b able to be flipped back to normal. I haven't used Max, but in maya if you don't mirror geometry and just flip an object in a negative scale, there's an option to reverse the direction of the normals, though I think all the UV's also have to be flipped to compensate.

As for the seams, I think it might just be a light map issue. I've had it happen to me before with modular pieces. It'll also be more noticeable if the textures don't tile perfectly at the seam. In the picture it looks like a light colored part of one object is touching at a darker part of the other object, causing a very noticeable seam due to the drastic change in tone.

Comment

the seams are due to the normals being flipped.

And I'm more talking about making a copy of something in UDK and flipping it, it flips the normals that way and I don't know of any way in UDK to flip them back.

Comment

Working...
          X