Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use 5 or 6 sided poly's

Hello all,
    I was just wondering if Unreal can utilize 5+ side polygons in the mesh or will that cause problems. I know some 3D applications have issues with recognizing certain things like this.
    I am using 3Ds Max for the mesh.

It's sloppy modeling, and can lead to rendering errors. It doesn't really matter to the game engine as it triangulates everything anyway.

Comment

Thank You,
      I agree it is sloppy to work like that. I used a boolean operation to put a couple small holes in the model and it did that. I have fixed it for the most part though. I just seem to be unable to find a good solution to a few of the problem poly's which is making it really hard to take care of this. However, if there are no rendering problems in UDK with this then I might just use it as is.
      Thank You Very Much.

Comment

You can, but everything gets converted to tris when you export to the game. So for n-gons you might want to create the tris yourself beforehand so that they don't get created in a way you don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
          You can, but everything gets converted to tris when you export to the game. So for n-gons you might want to create the tris yourself beforehand so that they don't get created in a way you don't like.
          QFT. The biggest problem with using 5+ sided polygons is that you have no control over how it's interpreted by the engine.

Comment

Working...
          X