Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBX import for all objects

Hey guys.

I was wondering would it be ok if I just imported all my objects with FBX format. I'm asking because I don't really wanna deal with plugins and reattaching materials and all that stuff.

Is this a good idea?

Sure. The FBX pipeline works really well. I'm working on some documentation for it to make the process easier, but if you have questions about anything please ask and I will try to help you along.

Comment

That's great! Thanks.

Comment

It doesn't work too good with blender

Comment

What things are you having problems with?

I have not tested any FBX export/import with Blender and Epic obviously does not use Blender. I would assume if Blender exports the scene properly, it should just work. I don't have any experience with Blender personally so it's hard for me to make any guesses about what your issues might be.

Comment

There are two type of export for the fbx. For blender 2.57. Autodesk fbx and XNA fbx. The XNA fbx works but doesn't support smoothing. But there are one post fixed the smoothing. Currently Autodesk fbx doesn't work. It just for exporting.

Comment

Currently Autodesk fbx doesn't work.
              That's not true. I'm importing static meshes made with blender 2.56a in UDK with the fbx exporter and it just works.

Comment

Oh, really I just only tested the skeleton part of the fbx export.

Comment

Yes, and with the Edge Split Modifier, you can set hard and smooth edges as you like. When you import your static mesh in UDK, the warning "no smoothing groups found" still appears but the mesh appears like it was in Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by edx76 View Post
                    Yes, and with the Edge Split Modifier, you can set hard and smooth edges as you like. When you import your static mesh in UDK, the warning "no smoothing groups found" still appears but the mesh appears like it was in Blender.
                    Engine devs should consider removing this warning, or at least adding a "Don't Show me this message again" per import, because it's too annoying when importing scenes from applications like Blender, Lighwave, etc.

Comment

Hm, I'm actually using Cinema 4D to export so I'll have to see if it works withthat,.

Comment

@Darknet
                        Fbx exporter doesn't work with skeletal mesh, but it works fine with static meshes.
                        However, your own 2.2 script works like a charm with skeletal meshes in blender.

I would love to have one more addition in your script. multiple actions export.

Comment

Wait, so is it just blender that doesn't work with FBX skelital meshes or is it UDK in general that doesn't work with it?

Comment

I think its UDK, which refuses the blender fbx skeletalmesh export. It always says "Import Fail" , where as same file exported with Darknet psk/psa script 2.2 is imported perfectly, without a hitch.

Comment

So we still have to do it the other way then for skelital meshes. Ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X