Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human head I modelled, please give advice & tips

Hey,

When I first started using maya a few months ago, I made a human head with help from a tutorial, and an ear. I stopped there because it was too complicated to attached the ear to the head, but now I've gotten used to the program a bit more and have bothered to attach then (and made a few small other adjustments)

[SHOT]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/164/56819961.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7271/12714973.jpg[/SHOT]

I'm still pretty bad at modelling, and I would like to know if you can see if I've done anything wrong? I don't know all the modelling standards, and I'm pretty sure there will probably be something that looks out of proportion that I can't spot. I'm also unsure if the polygons are too high.

LATEST UPDATE TO MODEL:

I feel that the topology is too non-uniformly distributed. You could play a bit with moving existing edge loops to remove some "hard" edges and make it more smooth.

Comment

Yeah attaching the ear on is what did that, it was pretty evenly spread, then I had to make more poly's on the head to attach the ear.

Comment

On the shaded images we can see some stretching if the skin in several places.. the topology is "kind of" right, but what creates those fringes are those three or four edges very close together. Not actually wrong, but it's harder to control the shape! The best way to avoid this is to arrive at your desired shape with the fewest polygons as possible and with every row you add, you tweak until it works with the rest.

Also, I understand the concern with quads only and it's difficult to make an ear that doesn't add several rows of edges on the whole head.. in that case I would make triangles and to hell with quads only!

Besides that, you're on the right path It takes a while to get a good notion of shape. For that, always remember three things: reference, reference and reference :P

Comment

I like it, looks really natural because it's not so stiff..as regular models :P

Comment

Originally posted by segerina View Post
            I like it, looks really natural because it's not so stiff..as regular models :P
            Thankyou very much.

I've smoothed some of the head, but I've kept a bit of the unsmoothness on the face because I think it gives a nice effect of wrinkles.

I've been working on a body now, because I want the player to be able to choose differant faces in my game I'm going to have to keep this same generic body and have lots of differant faces for it. I have no idea how to do this within maya so I'm going to have to look it up.

Edit:
            Originally posted by diegofloor View Post
            On the shaded images we can see some stretching if the skin in several places.. the topology is "kind of" right, but what creates those fringes are those three or four edges very close together. Not actually wrong, but it's harder to control the shape! The best way to avoid this is to arrive at your desired shape with the fewest polygons as possible and with every row you add, you tweak until it works with the rest.

Also, I understand the concern with quads only and it's difficult to make an ear that doesn't add several rows of edges on the whole head.. in that case I would make triangles and to hell with quads only!

Besides that, you're on the right path It takes a while to get a good notion of shape. For that, always remember three things: reference, reference and reference :P
            Didn't see your comment originally :P Thanks for the advice, and what can having triangles in your model actually cause anyway?

Comment

Didn't see your comment originally :P Thanks for the advice, and what can having triangles in your model actually cause anyway?
              Two reasons, mostly: Usually the shape looks weird there.. but, of course, if you know how they behave you could use them to some effect (Steven Stahlberg, IIRC, used to use triangles and other shaped polygons intentionally). The other reason is for animation, regions with triangles won't deform very well.You could use this as an argument to put triangles in places you know are not going to deform, such as the ears.

Don't worry too much about that.. if it looks good and it's not messing with your animation then it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by diegofloor View Post
                Two reasons, mostly: Usually the shape looks weird there.. but, of course, if you know how they behave you could use them to some effect (Steven Stahlberg, IIRC, used to use triangles and other shaped polygons intentionally). The other reason is for animation, regions with triangles won't deform very well.You could use this as an argument to put triangles in places you know are not going to deform, such as the ears.

Don't worry too much about that.. if it looks good and it's not messing with your animation then it's all good.
                So should I go back and make a few triangles around the ear to get less polygons around the face? Or because I've already done it with quadrangles should I keep them and just neat it up a little bit?

Comment

Ref, ref and more ref. It looks unnaturally weird because it's not based on reality. The first key to organic and especially character modelling is reference and a base in reality (unless the distorted unrealistic is the look of your game).

I'll try and illustrate what I mean

See your model is all kinds of distorted. I think if you are going to start modelling it's the perfect time to learn about anatomy as well as it's key to character modelling from memory (rather than permanently using references). As you model these things over and over your models will be come more accurate and more efficient as you learn new tools and techniques.

Comment

There's the image it's based.

I made the face a bit of a skinnier build, and he was pouting in the photo (probably because I'm pretty sure that is a mugshot photo :P) so I moved the lips to be a bit more in a plain stance.

I think I've done well in matching that photo, it's just that guy in the photo you have looks completely differant. I do see some things that do look a bit unnatural and some things that need more work though. The bridge of the nose and eyebrow to the eye definitely need some work (And the top right of the head looks a bit off). I'm having troubles getting rid of the wierd wrinkles in the cheak area though, every time I attempt to remove them I just make it worse.

Anyway thanks for the advice, I'll do a considerable amount of changes and post an image again soon to see if it looks any better, I'll probably post a picture of a body I've been working on too (Should probably just make a WIP thread).

Comment

It's looking great so far. What are you aiming for? Making a character for a game? Low-poly or high?

Comment

Originally posted by ilguano View Post
                        It's looking great so far. What are you aiming for? Making a character for a game? Low-poly or high?
                        Thankyou . This is just for learning right now (Going to make a full rigged character to do some cinematics and animations with) but if it turns out good for my first model I'll keep it in the game that I plan eventually making with friends.

Right now this head, and the body are both around 1200, this will get doubled when I mirror then both, and probably add around 2000-4000 when I add feet, hands and a bit more detail. I dunno what a good poly count is but I hear around 10000-20000 so I'm aiming for around 15000 poly's with clothing (I also plan on making the model having changable clothes)

Comment

[SHOT]http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1672/unledko.jpg[/SHOT]
                          [SHOT]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7411/unled2p.jpg[/SHOT]

Think I've got some improvements going, smoothed it out alot and fixed the nose bridge up a bit. Still needs alot more work though

Comment

It's getting better. Transition between the cheek and the ear is too hard though. You should smoothe that area a little. Also, the area on top of the lips is like harsh and punched in. You should smooth that as well
                            Keep it up. Looking forward to your progress.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4VyMLV7jGM

This is a must see video for anybody who wants to model a head but doesn't have any artistic background, training or understanding of human anatomy. It explains the proportions, relationships and even provides the scientific terms for many of the features of the human head. Watch this and you will see exactly what is wrong with that model. Mainly, he has no cranium.

Comment

Working...
                              X