Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant you use biped skeletons in Blender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant you use biped skeletons in Blender?

Since Im in a position where I cant use Max anymore (atleast for a while), I decided it was time to get hold of blender. I heard it was a good free app, capable of doing everything you might need, but none of the fancy mega ultra features that programs like Max and Maya have. So I downloaded V2.5, and gave it a go. Straight away I was able to take a downloaded barrel OBJ file, and export it as an FBX for use as a static mesh in UDK. It worked 1st time, amazingly enough! Now, when I tried to import and rig a character model, I had the ninja there on screen, but I spent a good 10 minutes looking for anything loosely related to Biped/Skeleton, but all I could find was "Single Bone"!!

Does this mean that if we want to rig with blender, we have to create every single bone ourselves, or am I completely missing the big "biped system" button thats so obvious its practically giving me a snog?

cheers

I have to create my own armature !
    Yes sorry but you kind of have to, at least once. After that you can use the same and adapt it.
    there's good youtube tuto about blender rigging. For exemple : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApdSx_4b0Q cover the foot rigging with foot roll ...etc.

Comment

Thanks, I'll definitely make use of that tut! Funnily enough I've come across the word Armature before in UDK or 3D, tutorials but never knew what it meant lol.

Well I'll start working on my own skeleton tommorow then. I've come across some characters again that I want to see in UDK, but realised I couldn't get on Max anymore, so I was like "noo! its over for me..."

Comment

There is a human meta rig in blender but you would need to apply all the correct parenting and control wigets yourself if you want to enable the meta rig template start blender, go to file, user preferences, import/export, scroll down and enable add-ons for import unreal skeleton mesh (.psk) and Make human (.mhx) (i'm not sure which one does it) then save as default. You will now be able to use the human meta rig template it can be found in add, armature. there is an auto IK in the toolbox but i haven't used that yet so don't know if that will help speed things up or not hope that helps.

Comment

Oh yes i forgot about this meta rig.
          The human meta rig will activate with the addon Rigging:Rigify. Never tried it before on the 2.5alpha. Just played with it a little and it seems great. Once the addon activated you go to add> Armature>human
          You change the bones for your model then you go to object data panel on the right, and all the way down you have a rigify buttons> generate. It will make all the shape controllers you need, IK/FK skeletons, and you have properties to go from one to another.
          It is quite complicated so try to find some basics on blender armature system to understand what it is your playing with.
          The problem is with this kind of rigging you'll have to bake your animation on the skinned skeleton before exporting.

I think it is exactly what you are looking for.

Comment

Rigify i can't believe i missed that i've been making all my shape control widgets with this tool sat right under my nose the whole time "kicks myself" This will speed things up alot for me thanks for pointing that out pixoloco

Comment

Sounds interesting, Im gonna have to give this a go!

Comment

The Riggify don't work well with UDK, it takes too much time just to fix it. so use if for study, and make your own rig. Also, for the starter, do not use IK/FK , and test ik/fk less rig for UDK.

TIP :
                Start your rig from the "BASE ROOT" , means keep the hierarchy from only one parent, forget to do so, will result in lots of problem for your rig.

Check out the attached file.
                http://www.easy-share.com/1915235131/Human.blend

Comment

Thanks Im just about to try this out now. So your saying its pretty unreliable using the meta-rig then? Luckily I haven't actually started rigging anything yet!

Is there anyway that I can rig the character using the Default UT3 male skeleton? I want to be able to just use the UDK animsets. I remember how painstaking it was trying to fine tune the motion capture animations I used for Lara (the model is rigged pretty well, but the animations dont work well in UDK, mainly because they all had "root-motion")

thanks again

Edit: Thats a pretty cool model mate! I noticed it has textures aswell. So would I be able to adapt this into my own skeleton to use on my character? Im guessing I have to select the armature only, and export it as some kind of file, then open my character, and import the skeleton into my character?

Comment

yes you r right. its not my model, i got it from blendernation.com , just for try out of skeleton.

any way, if you want a workable armature to use in udk, please search "UT3SimpleRig" blend file on net. It is completely useable with udk animations.
                    Note that the model is almost 80 blender units , and the size of bones is actual 1 blender unit. do not alter it.

Edit : Here is another rig to try out, it has simple IK for hands and legs. fully usable in UDK.
                    http://wikisend.com/download/197538/Human2.blend
                    Don't mind the animations, its my first time with animation/3d software.

Comment

this one is even better, no need of root bone size change.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/wZ79bdE/U...lin.blend.html

Originally posted/searched by @explodi

Comment

Sorry for my bad English.
                        Please,repick UDK Simple Rig attached Rigify rig.

Comment

Working...
                        X