Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Blender 2.57 ASE export

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I get when auto tris is checked(pic on the right) and what I get when it is unchecked(left)(same results with recalculate normals):

It looks fine in blender but when I export it, it is cut out:

Comment

turn on double sided materials in UDK (mesh options) see if that helps.

Comment

Sadly this won't help because those triangles are not just flipped but got deleted. I had the same problem a few times and it was somehow caused by the triangulation / normal recalculation.
        Obstinatus, if you don't get it fixed feel free to upload the blend file, so someone else can give it a try.

Comment

Oh silly me. I forgot to mention that this happens only when auto tris are unchecked. But Im trying to make low poly meshes and with auto tris I just get everything doubled. I dont mind auto tris for meshes with 300-350 faces but when I have mesh with 600 faces I think that 1200 faces are just too much, cuz Im doing a game for iphone.

Comment

I think you missed something here. Game engines like the UE3 can only handle triangles - it does not matter if you do the triangulation within blender or if the UDK do so when importing a mesh, in the end your 600 quad model will have 1200 tris anyway.

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing that bMesh upgrade won't do much of any good when it comes to UDK, obviously... Although I am excited about the upcoming 2.63 release, I still have to be cautious about how I use those new bells and whistles. Let's hope MCampagnini will work around that with any new upgrades of his own for exports.

Comment

Originally posted by WedgeBob View Post
                Yeah, I'm guessing that bMesh upgrade won't do much of any good when it comes to UDK, obviously... Although I am excited about the upcoming 2.63 release, I still have to be cautious about how I use those new bells and whistles. Let's hope MCampagnini will work around that with any new upgrades of his own for exports.
                It might. I watched a into to bMesh from Blender Cookie. It seems like it will make modeling way easier, but won't support tris by default. But I am sure with a little "tweaking" before exporting, you can get the faces to be either quads or tris before exporting.

Comment

We finally nailed the issues with the tech and apparently we are cool with submaterials. The level editor and the map compiler understand the submaterials now, no need really to export scene with separate meshes (the only reason is conveniece as I wouldn't have to join them) So it's all cool \o/

Comment

Nice work MCampagnini!

I was still using Doc Holliday's exporter from way back. It does multiple textures (I did 12 different on one mesh) but sadly it doesn't do multiple objects for collision or light meshes.

Great work, thanks!!

Comment

This is awesome! I always see people having issues working with UDK and Blender this should really help.

Comment

I wonder if Blender will ever be taken seriously for modelling in the game dev business or if it will stay as it is.

Comment

I just noticed http://campagnini.net/ is down. I hope this is just temporary?

Comment

I'm moving it to a code repository, it makes more sense rather than paying for a website that I never have time to update. If anyone needs the script send me a pm with your email and I'll shoot it over to you. I'll have a link for everyone when I finish.

Comment

There is a forum error, it is not letting me edit my first post. The script is now hosted at: http://code.google.com/p/ase-export-vmc/. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply and setup of new site. Your work is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X