Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Models

Hello Dear Community Udk .

I"m new At modeling some 3 month experience i was modeling some Street Laps. and ets thinks. i"m new at Texturing i know how need make Good UWP map and Ets , but in texturing i"have small experience what i why i was dont texturing yet my 2 models. i wana Ask you can you Test my 2 Models. i was save this models at OBJ file. i was use MaYa program for modeling. i wana Think all your Pro.. options about my models.

1.Home.

OBJ File
    http://depositfiles.com/files/psaj3zbfs

2.Ammo_Box

OBJ_file.
    http://depositfiles.com/files/jgt1nnt6w

Volk, I won't be able to examine your models up close due to time constraints, so technical critique is up to others to provide.
    But I can give some critique and advices based on these two images:

1. You have uneven polygon distribution, with too much polygons for some details. The pillars on the house are one example, the small round bolts on the ammo box are another. The support mini-pillars below floor of house don't need middle cut either, unless it's done to separate materials for ease of texturing.

2. Keep in mind the purpose of the mesh you create. Is it for FPS game? Is it for strategy game? Is it for render purposes only to be used as inventory icon in some game? From what camera angles will the object be visible in game?
    These questions will affect the desired polycount and texture sizes (unless you were given exact specifications), as well as the amount of detail you should put into the object.
    For example, your ammo box does not need small bolts and detailed lock unless it can be seen from close view (FPS/TPS type of game), but if it IS for close view, then you might want to add some smoothness to some edges etc.
    Your house is very low-poly and would only work for strategy, which probably means more attention should be given to parts that are most visible from top/isometric view.
    So, always keep in mind model's purpose and technical details as they will influence how should you create the model.

3. Since this is UDK community, obvious advice would be to learn to import and customize models in UDK. Often, a beautifully-looking model in 3ds max / Maya might look like sh*t when imported to actual game engine, and a mediocre model can really gain an edge with proper import settings, configured shaders and lighting. Plus, you might want to practice creating entire environments (as opposed to single objects) to gain experience in creating consistent style of art - you'll need this knowledge later, anyway

4. This is the easiest advice to give, but it's the hardest to follow as it only comes with experience: think ahead.
    If you create a model, think about it from texture artist's perspective, level designer's ease of use and from animator's point, too. This is why it's important to eventually branch out and learn at least basics of these things. Especially if you ever need work in a team with divided pipeline, so that the person working next with your model does not start hating you

Anyway, that's all. Keep improving

Cheers,
    Valentin

Comment

Working...
    X