normal map not smooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    For a cylinder like this, use 2 smoothing group, 1 for each top and a second for all around, otherwise you always gonna see those edges.

As for your normal, you can simply use photoshop and do a gradientmap with normals color or a black&white then proceed with crazybump/nvtools.

If your test was strictly for maya, you should look up a maya tutorials on how to render to texture, I'm a max user so idk=/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the response, but I need the low poly mesh to look round, just without the hard edges in the shading. As far as I understand it shouldn't the normal map still have something in it even without detail on the high poly mesh, i.e. like this image (from bencloward.com)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its plain because you dont have any details on your highpoly mesh. try to put some more details in it. Like seams etc.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic normal map not smooth

normal map not smooth

Hi All,

I'm trying to use transfer maps in Maya and a simple test case with a low-res cylinder and high-res cylinder. However, when I generate the tangent normal map it comes out flat, i.e. all one shade of purple, see here:

I would expect to see some smooth gradient or something else. When I render in Maya you can see the edges on the low poly model (I added an arrow in photoshop). On the left is the high poly cylinder.

the edges look like slight white-ish lines. I've imported similar models into UDK and with the normal map I still see the hard edges. Thanks for any help.
Working...
X