Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I set up a collision mesh inside Blender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I set up a collision mesh inside Blender?

Hello Epic Games Forums,

I am wondering how do I set up a collision mesh inside Blender 3D? I have tried just importing assets to the UDK but it complains about the asset not having any collision mesh.

Please help me, thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spYVAlXgcSo

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I did not know the mesh had to have a UCX_ prefix.

Comment

glad that video helped

Comment

If you are using blender 2.5 and exporting the object with fbx. Dont forget to apply the scale to your collision assets.

Comment

which one in your opinion please.

Originally posted by dukejib View Post
            If you are using blender 2.5 and exporting the object with fbx. Dont forget to apply the scale to your collision assets.
            So far as free apps, would you recommend Blender over Milkshape for static and skeletal mash. And is Blender 2.5 best as I can download a previous version ?

I have nil nexperience with any of these types of Apps so Im in for a steep learning curve.

Thanks.

Mik.

Comment

I have only tried blender and quite happy with it. Use the newest 2.5 RC version. as far as i know, most of the modeling applications are same, and excel in only few categories from each other.

Comment

Thanks for you sharing your expericence. I had both milkshpe and Blender on my mind today. I considered maya Student for about two minunets. Out of the other two I was already swerving toward Blender. Excellent to hear you like it.

Mik.

Comment

But you can create a collision mesh inside UDK for a mesh ?

Comment

Originally posted by Epicleptic View Post
                    But you can create a collision mesh inside UDK for a mesh ?
                    I think this is a question, so the answer is yes.

Comment

What is the big difference.

Ive only got a few hours up on both UDK and Blender. Ive played with adding collision meshes in UDK and that tool seems pretty good. Is the reason for making collision meshes in a 3D app partly to do with making a destroyable object mesh in the 3D application ?

Comment

Create a collision model in Blender around your original model.
                        Name the collision model the same name but with the UCX_ extension in front of it.

Example:
                        1. If your model is called CyborgRaven,then call your collision model UCX_CyborgRaven.
                        2. Select CyborgRaven and UCX_CyborgRaven and export them as one model.
                        3. When you import into UnrealED and open in the StaticMesh editor then UCX_CyborgRaven will automatically be assigned as the collision mesh.

I hope that helps you.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Commodore View Post
                          Create a collision model in Blender around your original model.
                          Name the collision model the same name but with the UCX_ extension in front of it.
                          To add to this... Make sure your collision model is a convex shape and is as simple as you can make it. You can create multiple collision models per mesh.

Comment

To add to this... Make sure your collision model is a convex shape and is as simple as you can make it. You can create multiple collision models per mesh.
                            Yes...........

Comment

Working...
                            X