Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try on UDK model really. Loads of screenies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try on UDK model really. Loads of screenies.

Ok, so, I've decided to try a one day test on 'how to do something in UDK'. As I am kind of modeling freak I've decided to create a huuuge pawn model. First, as a simple static mesh to see how it would look like.

I want to say, this is my FIRST try on creating a static mesh for UDK. I did play with textures before, BSP, materials, light effects, post process, never with scenery. So, the result is kinda noobish,

So, I've started with simple model at 15:30 today:

Then, I've exported it to Mudbox and made a high detail model:

Then, some textures (I did only a Diffuse as it meant for UE1, one of my mods, so no needs for specs and so on but still I wanted to see how would it look like in UDK)

Then I've reimported the High poly back to 3D Studio and I've burned the textures on the low poly model which I meshsmoothed a lot to keep the textures like... umm, smoothy. I mean the displacement map which would be later used for Tessellation.

I've baked 3 textures - Diffuse, Normal and Height map (displacement map)

And thus I could create a 3D Studio Scene which would tell me how the Giant Tentacle should look like in UDK:

Then I've moved to UDK, created a material (which looks like this because of the size of the Giant Tentacle!!):

A level and...:

Weeeeeee!!!! Lol, that's just AWESOME!

And other screenies (Yea, I know, Texture seams for Tessellation are skrewed)

I've ended my work at 20:45, more less... So, in almost 6 hours I've managed to create a FIRST model with textures and tessellation. And it looks not bad I think.

Two questions. What do you think, and, should I post a detailed tutorial? Cos I don't know what next really

It looks good,

I think the texture should deserve some more detail, and the normal map also as there isnt much tiny little crevices or pores that could add extra detail, especially since its a large mesh :P

Comment

I know, it should be a detail texture on the normal. Didn't really bother to add that one yet XD

Comment

It looks fantastic. A tutorial would be awsome!
        Did you rig it?

Comment

I would have modeled only one section of the tentacle then stacked them on top of each other. This way each piece can have it's own size and material if I wanted, and then you could add way more detail to each section.

Comment

I'd love to see a detailed tutorial on how you made this

Comment

Originally posted by ilguano View Post
              Did you rig it?
              No, I did not. It's a simple static mesh as I don't know a thing about animations and character stuff in UDK. Yet.

Originally posted by Hellclown View Post
              I would have modeled only one section of the tentacle then stacked them on top of each other.
              Thank you, that will be the thing I shall do next. Tho, if it is meant to be rigged as a one character I'm not sure if I'm able to figure out how to rig 12 fragments as one character.

Originally posted by Dvoyles View Post
              I'd love to see a detailed tutorial on how you made this
              Soon.

Comment

Working...
              X