Using zBrush and 3DS Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using zBrush and 3DS Max

Ive recently got ahold of a copy of zBrush 4.0 and have had 3DS Max 2010 for a while. I can model fairly well in 3DS but not as well as the artists at epic games for example, but my main struggle lies in texturing.

I'm not a great UV-Mapper, and my textures always turn out with very visible seams and there isn't really a way to overcome this without spending a very long time on a model.

Im new to zBrush, and I know Epic used it for the creation of Gears of War characters and various other things. My question is, how can I use zBrush to create my models, texture them and then export the model and texture into 3DS max, where I can then make it game-ready for my game?

Ive seen some tutorials on texturing in zBrush, but they all seem to generate incredibly strange looking texture maps that i wouldnt be able to further edit in photoshop or somesuch, unlike the Gears of War 1 textures.

Does anybody know where I can find tutorials for such a thing? Thanks!

I'm pretty new to Zbrush myself but I believe you can export your model from Zbrush then import it into 3DS max, then lay out your UVs in Max to how you want them set up, i found loads of useful info on the Zbrush site as well as on there forums, probaly best thing to do would be to just search google or check out there site. Ive never used it before but i hear that Zbrushes UV master does a good job in unwraping UVs.

I know on Zbrush you can paint on your model but I'm not sure how it all works yet, best bet is to just do some searching you'll find what your looking for somewhere.

Comment

visit the pixelogic forums. there are tons of tuts there for stuff like this and more.

Comment

A good way to work i find is make a basemesh in 3ds max, export it into zbrush, sculpt your model. Once done, id use http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=71265 on your model, epic used it on GOW and its pretty sweet, then just export your model back to 3ds max as a obj and then texture / rig.

Comment

you can use the GOZ button in zbrush/3dsmax to easy go from 1 app to another

Comment

Working...
          X