Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rigging and Skin limitations 3ds max

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rigging and Skin limitations 3ds max

    Hi guys where working on UDK for a project at uni and I'm wondering around the limitation for skinning a rigging. I'm new to UDk but pretty good with 3ds max which I'll be using. I am exporting with actorX . If someone can answer some of my questions I be greatful.

    Ok il start with, baking animation in Udk. Im trying to use the skin morph modifier with 3ds max and get the results into UDK. Ive tired baking the animation to the vertices and that didn't work. I tired a normal export with actorX. Im tring to get muscle and deformation solves but so far I've hit a wall.

    In terms of rigging I been able to get a basic Ik /Fk rig working in UDK but I havnt been able to get any type of stretchy bone working. It is even possible and if any one know of general limitations for UDK game legal rigs il love to know.

    ActorX has been giving me some strange problems. The first is the error message "inconsitent number of bones" I believe this down to editing the rig after I already digested the animation but reloading and seting a new save .psa doesnt fix the problem.

    ActorX also has at time not even shown the digested animation in the animation manager. This was just using a basic Ik rig. I believe this down to it not using the correct name convention/ or the hierarchy not set up correctly for export?

    Cheers hope there enough information there.

    #2
    Originally posted by Callumrockin View Post
    Ok il start with, baking animation in Udk. Im trying to use the skin morph modifier with 3ds max and get the results into UDK. Ive tired baking the animation to the vertices and that didn't work.
    I'm sure if you follow this tutorial: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXMaxTutorial.html you will succeed in exporting your model and animation. Don't bake any animations, but use the animation compression tools inside the UDK.

    Originally posted by Callumrockin View Post
    I tired a normal export with actorX. Im tring to get muscle and deformation solves but so far I've hit a wall.
    You cannot export muscle systems and the like. You can only export 4 bone influences per vertex with the Skin modifier. However you can use the Unreal morphing system to simulate a muscle system, this will take much more time however and depending on the amount of characters etc in your scene it could drop the performance.

    Originally posted by Callumrockin View Post
    In terms of rigging I been able to get a basic Ik /Fk rig working in UDK but I havnt been able to get any type of stretchy bone working. It is even possible and if any one know of general limitations for UDK game legal rigs il love to know.
    For a rig I would start with the UDK Male rig provided here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCustomCharacters.html, but don't add the "IK" meshes from the Biped to your Skin, that will give you errors, just add the root with all the normal bones.

    Stretchy bones are not supported, in game engines one should always avoid scaling factors different from 1, it just doesn't work like in 3D animation packages like Max & Maya.

    But check this thread to achieve similar results: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=737538

    Originally posted by Callumrockin View Post
    Ok il start with, baking animation in Udk. Im trying to use the skin morph modifier with 3ds max and get the results into UDK. Ive tired baking the animation to the vertices and that didn't work.
    I'm sure if you follow this tutorial: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorXMaxTutorial.html you will succeed in exporting your model and animation. Don't bake any animations, but use the animation compression tools inside the UDK.

    Originally posted by Callumrockin View Post
    I tired a normal export with actorX. Im tring to get muscle and deformation solves but so far I've hit a wall.
    You cannot export muscle systems and the like. You can only export 4 bone influences per vertex with the Skin modifier. However you can use the Unreal morphing system to simulate a muscle system, this will take much more time however and depending on the amount of characters etc in your scene it could drop the performance.

    Originally posted by Callumrockin View Post
    ActorX has been giving me some strange problems. The first is the error message "inconsitent number of bones" I believe this down to editing the rig after I already digested the animation but reloading and seting a new save .psa doesnt fix the problem.

    ActorX also has at time not even shown the digested animation in the animation manager. This was just using a basic Ik rig. I believe this down to it not using the correct name convention/ or the hierarchy not set up correctly for export?
    Once more I would suggest to start with the UDK_Male.max rig and expand/alter it for your needs. This is the best way to avoid problems, because ActorX is really picky.

    Comment

    Working...
    X