Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8-Bit Alphas

Hey there,

I was wondering, since i saw that screen in 2010 August Release, does UDK supports 8 Bit Alphas now?

Well, either this forum is dead or my question to complicated. Cant believe no one knows the answer to a fairly simple question. I would test it myself but havent udk installed. So pls, with sugar on top, can someone enlighten me?

Comment

UDK has always supported alpha maps.

Comment

That wasnt the question. i asked if udk support 8 Bit Alphas now cause the picture above says yes, but any googling about 8 bit alphas in udk gave me nothing.

So i assume udk still works only with 1 Bit Alphas. But how did they accomplish that look in the picture then?

Comment

UDK has always supported 8 bit alphas. Even UE 2 and 2.5 supported 8 bit alphas.
          The alpha sorting algorithm may have changed though (just an idea).

Edit: The reason could be this

Comment

We had this discussion a year ago Xendance. HERE
            And no, udk wasnt able to interprete 8 Bit alphas right, a year ago.

Anyway, is this hair in the picture a 8 Bit transparacy Alpha or did they accomplished this with 'Alpha to coverage' to get antialiased alphas?

Comment

That image has nothing to do with 8 bit alphas.

Hair Lighting

* Implemented a new, single-pass technique for translucency lighting.
              * Previous technique relied on multiple passes, which over-brightens on multilayered objects, such as hair.
              * The single-pass technique uses about half the number of shader instructions as multipass lighting, so hair will be much cheaper.
              http://udk.com/news-beta-aug2010

Anyway, 8 bit is the lowest Photoshop allows, and considering I'm using photoshop for all my image stuff... Yes, it supports it.

Comment

i know its about hair lighting, i read the article.

Nevermind, guess i have to install udk and find out myself.

Comment

Well I suppose you have to find out about it yourself since everyone else seems to be wrong.

Comment

As far as I know.. yes it does use 8-bit alpha. If you use a 32-bit TGA you have 8-bits per channel.. including alpha channel.

Bottom line.. it's always been possible to get the so called "anti aliased" alpha. Simply... make it.. and you can use it. Given the fact that you use TGA files, since that is the format supported by UDK.

Comment

This whole topic is kinda usless since it's obviously not a 1-bit alpha in that image. Yes, you have 256 shades of gray available to use in your alpha channel. Just set the material to translucent or additive. If you want 1-bit alpha, set it to masked.

I think masked is the only way it will cast shadows properly, but I'd have to check again with soft-masked.

Comment

Working...
                      X