Normal Baking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal Baking

I need to re-create a brick wall for a project that I am working on. The first one that I did just dosen't look good. We have decided to try out normal baking, (making a high poly model of the wall and than generatign a normal map from that). However I am confused on a few things, like first of all where do I start. I think most of the time this process is done in Z-Brush isn't it? Also can I take the generated normal map from my High Poly version and instead of appling it to a low poly mesh can I apply it straight to a BSP face in UDK?

Thanks,

- Patrick

Maya and max both have the ability to bake normal maps. No idea which app is best though.

Yes you can apply it to a BSP but a static mesh takes up less memory or processing power than the BSP so its best to apply it to a low poly mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick87 View Post
      I need to re-create a brick wall for a project that I am working on. The first one that I did just dosen't look good. We have decided to try out normal baking, (making a high poly model of the wall and than generatign a normal map from that). However I am confused on a few things, like first of all where do I start. I think most of the time this process is done in Z-Brush isn't it?
      All major modelling applications including zbrush and mudbox support normal map baking. You may also check external applications like the xnormal.

Originally posted by Patrick87 View Post
      Also can I take the generated normal map from my High Poly version and instead of appling it to a low poly mesh can I apply it straight to a BSP face in UDK?
      Yes you can. To maintain texture tiles, you should map the hires mesh to a plane.

Comment

Working...
      X