Problem importing multimaterial mesh in fbx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem importing multimaterial mesh in fbx

Skinned Char in 3ds max have 3 submaterials perfectly functional.
    When imported in fbx it show up 3 materials too but second material isn't assigned to any poly while the first group has taking its poly.
    Collada exporting doesn't work for me ( udk crash with open collada and give me error with built in max collada).

Someone have the same issue or found a solution?

while a solution is found I will try with plugin exporter.

I'm assuming in Max the material ID's are set fine and it appears in the viewport as it should, but does each material have a completely unique bitmap image applied to it? If any of the materials are using the same image in the diffuse slot, it will consider them the same material.

If it's still failing, sometimes there is corruption in the model's data. To fix this, you need to make a copy of the mesh's ELEMENTS to a new object and export off of that. Selct the mesh, hit '5' and cntrl-A and then shift drag the object to clone it. Pay attention to how far it is moved by noting the exact # in the coordinate window at the bottom. Delete your old object and move the new elements back the same increment to reposition it where it was. If you're on an older version of max, you can just shift-click the object to clone the element, but newer versions require you to actually move it and it's annoying.

This can be an extreme pain if you already have a complicated skin modifier as it will reassign the vertex ID's and your envelopes will no longer match up and you have to reskin and weight the verts again.

Comment

i will try.
      however reskinning is simple with skin wrap. matter of seconds.
      it have different textures but actually arent properly set because I have changed directory but I don't think that can be this.

Comment

Really... seconds?

Originally posted by Dr.Paul View Post
        i will try.
        however reskinning is simple with skin wrap. matter of seconds.
        it have different textures but actually arent properly set because I have changed directory but I don't think that can be this.
        Dr. Paul,

You would be my hero if you can tell me how to use the skin wrap (simply -I am not even remotely close to being an artist/modeler... just hacking something together)

Comment

Working...
        X