Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-Lo poly normal with 3ds max

Hi

I've been making hi-poly rock models in 3dsMax 2010. And i made a low res version too. Im trying to bake the UV and diffuse textures onto the low-res version. The uv mapping seems to get messed and the projection technique seems to create horrible uvmapping, and the textures get stretched. The hi-res and lo-res seem to have quite neat boxy sort of mapping on them normally, so whats up? Whats the best way to fix this?

You need to UV unwrap your low-res model, if you started with a box then your mapping won't be very good on that default mapping

Comment

thanks for that, that was totally the answer.

Comment

One more thing, ive now unwrapped my low poly rock and got it all into UDK. It looks good but sometimes where two of the uvw sections touch there is a kind of weird lighting thing going on where it seems like they are not the same brightness...

Comment

This might be helpful to you: http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tut...oothing_groups

Comment

ok im posting a pic in case anone has any ideas. I dont think its the smoothing..

Comment

Originally posted by brunomartelli View Post
              ok im posting a pic in case anone has any ideas. I dont think its the smoothing..
              Try to align those UV islands horizontally: Island1| |Island2

Comment

If not a technical error, Paint the seams away

Comment

the seams are already painted in Zbrush, then its turned into low ply in max. It renders fine but in UDK when you turn the rock around the lighting over the seam goes weird. Its all lighting. I'm gonna try the line up UV islands horizontally thing..

Comment

the seams are already painted in Zbrush, then its turned into low ply in max. It renders fine but in UDK when you turn the rock around the lighting over the seam goes weird. Its all lighting. I'm gonna try the line up UV islands horizontally thing..
                    http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...08&postcount=7

good

bad

eg

Comment

That looks like the uv seam to me. thats the fun part of modeling, hideing the seam. like it was stated just paint over it with static mesh paint in udk. other whys your going to have to try to repaint your texture around the uv in something like zbrush or mud box. the seam is from one side not matching up with the other.

Comment

Here it is again, I'm rotating it in the statci mesh editor, the UV seems fine, its the lighting over the seam...

Comment

you know its strange too cause i been getting some really funky lighting problems too. It may just be udk. or the model itself. honestly i dont know either. I have been working on a solution but nothing seems to help. have you used the auto lod tool?

Comment

Here it is again, I'm rotating it in the statci mesh editor, the UV seems fine, its the lighting over the seam...
                            That rock is beautiful & photo realistic looking!

Comment

Working...
                            X