Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning: The light map UV set for static mesh appears to have layout problems...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Warning: The light map UV set for static mesh appears to have layout problems...

    Help,

    I keep getting this Message when i import a model from Max. I've checked everything, in Max: Map channel 1 for diffuse texture... x-formed etc. and i still get this message - its quite annoying. how do i get a clean import?

    the full message is this:

    "Warning: Warning: The light map UV set for static mesh [StaticMeshFactor_1] appears to have layout problems. Either the triangle UVs are overlapping one another or the UV are out of bounds (0.0-1.0 range)

    thanks in advance

    #2
    With the lightmap UV's you need to have a 100% clean layout. Nothing can overlap and nothing can be tiled. So in Max you would normally have channel 1 which is your texture UV, then you also need to create a channel 2 which is your lightmap uv. This channel 2 needs to be 100% clean but channel 1 can be whatever you need for your model's texture map.

    Comment


      #3
      Hey Obihb,

      I created a 2nd channel for lightmap and it worked! thanks a bunch. greatly appreciate it.

      Comment


        #4
        ...

        Obhib,

        Can the warning message be ignored? If so, what are the drawbacks?

        If a mesh has three uv channels coming into UDK, could UDK be instructed to consider a fourth channel as the lightmap channel rather than the second?

        punchface

        Comment


          #5
          Yeah, sure, I mean, without actually working at Epic I can say pretty confidently this warning is 100% ignorable if you choose to.

          You can certainly use more than 2 UV sets and use any one of them as the light map UV's. I have done this a bunch of times without any problems. Yes, the warning will pop up if channel 2 specifically is not light map friendly but that is just the check that is in place. It's because 99% of the time you will use channel 2 for light maps, the other 1% you just ignore that message and go about your business. As long as you know that whatever channel you assign is in fact correct, it will be fine. In the end it is only a graphical error, not a performance influencing kind of error.

          Comment


            #6
            Very good...

            Thanks for your response, obihb!

            punchface

            Comment

            Working...
            X