Ugly Seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly Seams

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of these ugly seams?

I know they're caused by the bump offset and normal maps. I've tried masking the edges of the uv's, but the seams still show up.

Thanks

can you post your uv's?

and are you using actorx or fbx for export?

Comment

I'm using fbx for the mesh. I import the texture files as separate tga's and build the mat inside Unreal.

Here's the uv map

and the mudbox screenshot.

Thanks,

btw: Nice work on the reals in your sig.

Comment

Is it going to be a dynamic character rather than just a static mesh? Because then it will be lit dynamically and it won't use lightmaps anyway.

Comment

I suspect your having a problem with the tangent basis of the uv's.. where the orientation of uv island seams is different. see here for some in depth explanation

try bake the map out using xNormal with some good edge padding for a start (best baking program ever) set your BG color to (RGB)128,128,255 instead of the default black.

I'm wondering if the tangent basis is not being exported in fbx or that UDK is not reading that info out..

have you tried actorX?

Comment

also try changing the normalmap texture's compression, set it to normalmap_uncompressed.
            I'm having this problem with any model I import as well, but in one of them I got it fixed without knowing how. all I know is I set to normalmap_uncompressed and re-assigned the texture on the material. then again doing the same procedure for other models didn't fix it :/

Comment

Originally posted by Xendance View Post
              Is it going to be a dynamic character rather than just a static mesh? Because then it will be lit dynamically and it won't use lightmaps anyway.
              Both, it's a statue and a character rig.

Clothes will be added when it's a character so the seams are not too big of a deal. But as a statue the only thing that changes is the saturation level on the color.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find out if its the compression, but nothing much seams to change.

I guess I'll just give it bracelets

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X