3ds max unist vs UDK units.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3ds max unist vs UDK units.

i Have a few questions regarding 3ds Max units of measure, and UDK units of measure.

1. what should i have my 3ds units of measure set to?
    2. how many 3ds units equal one unit in UDK?
    3. is there a "Game Standard" of units for certain items in game? ( doors have to be 128 units tall, windows should be 32 units off of the floor... etc etc. )

As far as I know, there is not a preset "UDK units".
    Unreal Tournament built their assets so that a character of around 94 units represents a 180cm tall player.
    Gears of War uses a similar one but not exactly the same.
    others like FrontLine Fuels of War, have players half of that height.

So the point is that you can pick the unit scale that you want for you game and build all your assets around that. Or you can stick to the UT3 measures so you could use without scaling the sample assets.

Comment

1 unit in Max is equal to 1 unit in Unreal, period.

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=740942

Comment

1,0 3ds units are not seemingly 1,0 UDK units on my install. Exporting as 2011 FBX with units set to either automatic or centimeters. Mesh height in 3ds Max is 256 units which in turn is 650 units in UDK (on both auto and cm export). What's wrong?

It is a simple concrete block (78 tris) I'm making, so complicated geometry isn't the culprit.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems FBX export only works when the last Max modifier is a "edit poly" modifier or something like that. Now has correct size between the apps.

Comment

Working...
          X