X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fractured Static Mesh Question

Hey everyone!

I'm back with a new problem:

I've successfully created a Fractured Smesh, but it isn't giving me the exact results I'd like.

First question:

My fractured piece boundaries are much larger than the actual mesh. Is this because of the boundary assigned to my Static Mesh? I compared the size of the Fractured Mesh pieces and the Boundaries of the model and they are very similar.

How would I go about reducing the size of the Fractured Mesh Pieces to fit closely to the model? I've looked through the Fractured Mesh videos and I've had no luck finding the answer (or I just suck at listening).

Second Question:

In-game, the door breaks when I shoot it (even though it looks bad due to the size of the Fractured boundaries). After the door is obliterated to nothing, I can walk straight through the fractured pieces (they have no collision), BUT the collision for the door is still present, EVEN though the mesh is obliterated into nothing.

Is it possible to generate realistic physics for a Fractured mesh? EX: the pieces can collide (and potentially kill you) once they're separated from the door AND the door's original collision disappears based on the amount of Fractured pieces left on the model.

216 views and no one has a post? It's been multiple weeks!

No one has the answer for this question?

Comment

I think it's juste the collision of the object that is way too large. you can create an "auto convex" collision that will take the shape of the object, although it's more costly. (go to the "collision" scroll down menu on top of the mesh's panel)

For the second question, I had the same problem. You have to set up the fractured mesh properties, by double clicking on the asset. About the collision of the door that remain...I admit, I fixed that by adding a "set collision" kismet box to "no collision" at the end of my scripted sequence. But in real time, you can do the same : create an event "take damage" for your fractured mesh, and as you shoot and destroy it, change its collision with the box. All you need is determine how much damage the mesh needs to take before it's collision is changed.

If I find a better way though, I'll let you know

Comment

imho Regarding your second question, there is a better way, you can find the relevant tutorial videos online. I think Raven covers:

- physics of pieces that fall off
        - walking through destroyed objects (i.e. doors, holes in walls, etc.)

Just search on google for "Raven UDK fracture"

Comment

Hey guys!

@Moutrave

The collision I have set for the door currently is wrapped right around the door. I'm using custom collision exported from Maya. There is no space between the collision box and the actual mesh, so somehow the collision is larger than what it really should be. I looked at every other mesh that comes with UDK and my theory stands. The fractured mesh will be generated based up on the boundary of the static mesh.

@Whitenorthstar

I found the tutorials and I definitely missed that you should uncheck bUse Simple Line/Box Collision in order to walk through the object after you've broken it up. And I'm also hoping that the pieces that come off the door WILL collide with the player. I saw him using the physics gun, which is good, but I'm hoping a player will be able to collide with the pieces. Definitely helped!

Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Helped me too as a matter of fact, so thanks !

Comment

Working...
            X