Modeling Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modeling Programs

Is there any downloadable modeling programs that are free with out a 30 day trail?I mean 3ds max looks nice but ive seen some crazy prices on the thing.Is there some other program out there for free?I have gmax but ive read i might not be able to export models out of there into udk.

You could try the Softimage Mod Tool.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=13571257

Comment

There's Blender, many see it as the most advanced free 3d Tool. For Zbrush-like tasks, there's Sculptris.

Comment

I appreciate the link but it says not for comerical game use....Darnit.Thanks for the link though.

Comment

Ya i have blender installed already.I wasnt to sure what it was.I was looking for turtorials on it.Been poping up old topics on it though.Wasntr sure i could do complex modeling with it?Anyone use it?

Comment

I have used it in the past, and personally I don't like it, but you can do complex modelling with it quite easily.

Comment

The Interface is one of Blender's most annoying things... you got to work deep into it until you can make awesome stuff, but it can export to UDK, both Static and Skeletal Meshes (there are some good export scripts out there)...

Comment

I do use Blender for modeling.I am still learning and so I rarely import something into UDK but it works. It´s pretty hard to get into it, but once you got used to it, it proves to be pretty powerful. And the best thing: You can use it for commercial things for free.

PS: I recommend you to download the Blender 2.53 Beta as the future interface of Blender will be like this and i felt it being a lot easier to understand than the old one of the 2.49 versions

Comment

Originally posted by Analdin View Post
                  There's Blender, many see it as the most advanced free 3d Tool. For Zbrush-like tasks, there's Sculptris.
                  Not anymore zbrush bought sculptris

Comment

I know, but it's still free, it's been renamed to Alpha 5 again, but it's free

/edit: ZBrush also hired the creator of Sculptris...

Comment

if i rememember correctly Gmax is essentially 3ds max with some of the fancy plugins missing... and it has a darker shade of gray in its toolbars...

Comment

There Blender which is free but does not support file types very well. You can download XSI Mod Tool from the Autodesk site for free (non-commercial use) and it has actorx support. If you are a student, you can buy autodesk edu suite for $350 in student sites which contains 3ds max, maya, motionbuilder, mudbox, and XSI ModTool. ALL full edition and commercial use, i say that worth the price. (They sell 2010 and 2011).

Comment

Ya i thought 3ds max looked like g max.350 is a little expensive on my budget right now.I guess ill get into blender.It does look a ittle goofy the way its layed out and it seems to rely on buttons heavily.I wish they made a paper cutout for learning all there buttons for laying on top of the keyboard.I seen some 3ds max on ebay.Is there any way they can screw up there cd key or anything like that from preventing me from useing it?I think it might be worth it it i get it off ebay for like 50 bucks theres a ton on there.Otherwise i guess its blender.

Comment

Originally posted by Builder_Anthony View Post
                            Ya i thought 3ds max looked like g max.350 is a little expensive on my budget right now.I guess ill get into blender.It does look a ittle goofy the way its layed out and it seems to rely on buttons heavily.I wish they made a paper cutout for learning all there buttons for laying on top of the keyboard.I seen some 3ds max on ebay.Is there any way they can screw up there cd key or anything like that from preventing me from useing it?I think it might be worth it it i get it off ebay for like 50 bucks theres a ton on there.Otherwise i guess its blender.
                            The way Autodesk makes the licenses work it's very hard to sell a license for 3ds Max to someone else--if you see anyone selling 3ds Max for anything below a few thousand dollars--it's a scam. No one would sell a $3,500 program for much cheaper. But again, the way to transfer licenses is not easy.

Gmax is based off a very old version of 3ds Max, it's pretty much useless to use just because it's so old. Plus I don't think there's any rendering capability.

You can also download most Autodesk programs (including 3ds Max, Maya, Softimage, and Mudbox) for free if you are a student--go to students.autodesk.com and register, and they've got free 13-month educational licenses that you can download. No need to pay $350 for the same software. And it's most likely going to continue with new releases so you could essentially use 3ds Max as long you are a student since the next version will come out before 13 months is over.

Comment

I couldn't see any option to save in the pixelogic version. I think it's just to test, they will probably implement its features in a future zbrush

Comment

Working...
                              X