Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(MAYA) joining the same model to itself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(MAYA) joining the same model to itself.

Okay here's my problem. i am modeling a Glock 17 in Maya. its going well. until i hit a problem that im sure one of you guys might be able to help with. im trying to combine edge's or something on the model.

i have looked countless of hours for tuts on this kind of thing but so far i have failed to find one that pertains to my situation. here let me show you whats going on.

here is the current pic for my model.

http://img833.imageshack.us/i/13419055.png/

work flow of how i made it so far. the red shows the direction i went to model it so far... red lines where i stopped..... notice the green. yea there's space there? how do i shore that up as one??

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/85687642.png/

here is a closer example view

http://img84.imageshack.us/i/12672622.png/

as you can see i want to merge the lower part to the upper how would i go about doing this? THX! in advance!

First make sure that the peices line up, then add edge loops to each peice to make sure the vertices line up (it just has to be close not perfect)(but I think your model doesn't need this step do to there being no extra edges on one peice compaired to the other, I included it so you would know how to do this on future models).

Then take each vert and snap it to the corresponding one on the other peice (click the vert, use the move tool and while holding the 'v' key drag to the corresponding vert this will snap them together).

Lastly, you drag a small selection box around the two verts that would combind and you go up to Edit Mesh->Merge repeat the last step for each pair of verts (tip: after you have done this for the first one you can just press 'g' for the other selections)

P.S. probely the reason you couldn't get the answer sooner was you search combind edge when what you want is combind vertices

Comment

much appriecated

Originally posted by 2Skilled4U View Post
      First make sure that the pieces line up, then add edge loops to each piece to make sure the verticals line up (it just has to be close not perfect)(but I think your model doesn't need this step do to there being no extra edges on one piece compared to the other, I included it so you would know how to do this on future models).

Then take each vert and snap it to the corresponding one on the other peice (click the vert, use the move tool and while holding the 'v' key drag to the corresponding vert this will snap them together).

Lastly, you drag a small selection box around the two verts that would combined and you go up to Edit Mesh->Merge repeat the last step for each pair of verts (tip: after you have done this for the first one you can just press 'g' for the other selections)

P.S. probably the reason you couldn't get the answer sooner was you search combined edge when what you want is combined verticals
      hey thx 2skilled48 you really helped me out of this pickle here and you just opened up something new for me!!!

now? got one last question. since this is a pistol and i do intend to animate it the slide on the top. do i need to make a separate model for that to animate?

cause right now i have this

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2064/question2.png

if i figure right i might have to model 2 more things and connect them with bones

1. part of the barrel that goes in the front and the shell ejector"attached to the bottom piece"
      2. the slide

or can i still achieve the same results by modeling it as one?

ha-ha cause once i figure this out im pretty much invincible till i get to character modeling

Comment

Yes you do need to make another mesh for animation, but you can connect them by parenting them together, so when the gun moves the slide stay in place on the gun but when the slide moves the gun does not. In order to make them look connected you can just extrude the top edge loop of the gun into the slide.

P.S. what I mean by gun is the peice you already have modeled

Comment

Working...
        X