Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing skeletal's Size and Location

Hi guys,
    I have imported a skeletal mesh from 3ds max but it's too small and it has an offset from the origin of the coordinate system. So when I add it to a pawn in the game, it's so not cool!
    Is there any way I can fix the size and location in the skeletal editor or I should fix it up back in the 3ds max?
    And if I should fix it in 3ds max, how can I adapt the size of skeletal mesh precisely? (I want the height of the skeletal mesh would be exactly 10 unit in UDK)

Hi again,
    I found out we can change the location and rotation by changing the "Origin" and "Rot Origin" properties, but still can't change the size of the skeletal.
    I would appreciate any sort of help with that

Comment

since you're using 3ds Max, your best bet is to download the ut3_Male.max file from the character section of epics UDN. since this is a max file with the correct character size in it and use that as a base for other objects or characters (obviously the scaling from ut3 to UDK is the same so its a decent base for scale)

Comment

You'd have to fix it in Max unfortunately. Although models can be scaled through the pawn script I think, it's the safest way to have the scale set within Max. From my own experience with this you can get very annoying problems with the ragdoll if you scale through the script.

To scale in Max and how smoothly it all goes is very dependent of your animation rig and what you've already animated. It may or may not cause problems and problems may be minor or not so minor to deal with. Having animated already just multiplies the work involved in changing scale because you have to change it on everything. There's a utility to rescale the world units. look through the Utilities list.

You can scale a selection or the whole scene. I can't remember now if scaling just a selection actually works properly. If so, then good, if not then you have to scale the scene which is how I do it anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Just as a note, if you scale - say a new player character - after you've animated it's walk/run cycle you will get some very very horrible results when trying to apply that animation to the mesh in UDK.. basically it will try to stretch your character back to the size it was when the animation was created and it looks.. well horrible (unless you're planning on all your characters looking like Kaminoans :P )

So basically.. Scale first, then animate.

Comment

Working...
            X