Can't import the mesh to UDK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't import the mesh to UDK!

I exported a .max file to .fbx. But it can't import to content browser.(message "Import failed")

I had been add the texture material to it. My friend told me if the model has an UV map that enough. I think maybe add material is a wrong step. But I just a begineer in the modeling field. Actually, I don't know how to remove it or another properties.

Could someone give me some tips?

In my experience. .fbx sucks. Export to a .psk instead... what program are you using?

Comment

if you are using 3ds max this will help you
      http://www.udktutorials.com/2010/01/...-udk-tutorial/

Comment

Can .ASE exported skeletal mesh?

Unreal Actor:

After I clicked "Save mesh/refpose". I received a warning: No valid skin triangles digested(mesh may lack proper mapping or valid linkups)

The model had basic material setting: Diffuse color and normal map. I can't figure out the problem...

Another question, How to set correct model size for UDK. I was afraid that my model will be too big/small.

Comment

add a material not just the default max material make sure you use a bitmap
          skin your mesh to the bones/rig and then with just the mesh selected export via actorx

there's lots of tutorials out there for you to watch

Comment

Download Actorx plugin and look for tutorial :]

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ View Post
              Can .ASE exported skeletal mesh?

Unreal Actor:

After I clicked "Save mesh/refpose". I received a warning: No valid skin triangles digested(mesh may lack proper mapping or valid linkups)

The model had basic material setting: Diffuse color and normal map. I can't figure out the problem...

Another question, How to set correct model size for UDK. I was afraid that my model will be too big/small.
              When exporting a skeletal mesh make sure you have proper skinning on your mesh for the bones. Your error sounds like you havent added any to your mesh. Are you using bones? If so forgot to skin them on your mesh? Let us know, but any of the suggested tutorials should shed plenty of lights on this

(As a small tip, Geodav's tutorials are some of the best, if not the best, you will encounter on skeletal meshes, very clear and a perfect pace. Easy to pick up and expand upon. Highly recommended!)

Comment

What are these "bones" mean?

Sorry for my reply speed. That was because my interenet was cut off by school.

Yes, I used bitmaps as my diffuse/normal map. But I am not sure I was skinned/using the bone. I didn't set rig!

Comment

If you want to use a static mesh then export to ASE format with Max. The skeletal meshes are.. well.. skeletal.. with bones et al... *Those* need PSK or FBX export.

Comment

First it's important to decide what kind of Mesh you are exporting; A static mesh or skeletal mesh.

Static meshes are just a models with a UV map and material(s), you export these as .ASE files (ASCII Scene Export)
                    Static meshes don't have any animation and no physics (Well, limited physics, you can throw them around with proper setup), and are usually used as STATIC additions to your map. Think boxes if you are making a warehouse.

Example:

Make a 40x40x40 cube in your 3d model program (3DsMax in my example), apply a UVW Unwrap too it (Adding a UVW Unwrap step is to make sure it can get a proper material in UDK, but for testing purposes isnt needed, so if you dont know how skip that) and click File -> Export -> ASE.

Just import this Mesh by clicking on Import in your Content Browser, select the .ASE file, hit import and done

A Skeletal Mesh is essentially the same, however this mesh as the name suggests has a skeleton, used for animation and/or physics. You create this skeleton by skinning bones to your mesh.

I suggest importing a static mesh first, let us know you succeeded, and if you want to know how skeletal meshes work I'll explain that then if needed

Good luck!

Comment

Yes, import a static mesh is OK.

But I don't still trap in import skeleton mesh. In fact, the only mesh I try to import as skeleton mesh file was made by the other person. The original file isn't .max(include animation file).

Sorry for my reply speed again. I will have a vacation this week.

Oh! Can you tell me how to change an objects' size. By 3DS MAX or UDK?

Comment

Dead link

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                        if you are using 3ds max this will help you
                        http://www.udktutorials.com/2010/01/...-udk-tutorial/
                        that link is dead

Comment

Gotta use .ASE!

Comment

check the number of polys and verts, you know that UDK can only support 30k polys and i think 36k verts
                            if it is a weapon or vehicle add bones to it and export it wia ActorX

Comment

Grave digging a 2 years old thread for incorrect info... the limit is 65536 verts for static meshes, skeletal meshes can have more.

Comment

Working...
                              X