Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you only use Z-Brush for modelling for UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you only use Z-Brush for modelling for UDK?

I'm trying to figure out what 3d package to focus on. Can you just use Z-Brush for everything, exporting the meshes directly from Z-Brush to UDK? Do you have to use it "with" something else, like Maya? Maya is so freakin' complicated.

export your mesh from zbrush as .obj,then import it into maya,and export it with the actor x exporter.
    it'll export your animation files and skeletal mesh,and if you just want a basic mesh,import it into maya,and export it out of maya as a .fbx file.
    there are many programs out there for modeling,max,maya,zbrush,mudbox,the only thing is that they really useful ones cost $$$.
    anyways,it's simple trust me.

Comment

You cant use zbrush directly,well not too my knowledge....Ya need max or maya "most popular" 3d progs too create correct files for importing.
      ppls wrk flows vary abit..
      I generally use z for all my mesh creations,from zchains all the way through too uvs.Then i pass everything onto a friend in max who sets it up too import into udk.

Comment

So you're pretty much only using ZBrush, but then you just use max/maya to export your Zbrush work to UDK.

Seems like a lot of waste to buy Maya just to use it as a converter from Zbrush to UDK. Maybe Epic might make a direct Zbrush-to-UDK plugin.

Comment

Zbrush is mostly used to create hi poly meshes so you can make normal maps for your low poly models. If you try and use a model made from zbrush with hundred thousands to millions of polys, you'll see it won't work properly or won't work at all.

Comment

You can create low poly meshes in zbrush just cant get them inro udk.
            I usally create a highpoly then either retopo and project details onto the new mesh.
            Or create high poly mesh, paint it up in zbrush..zbrush polypaint and projections are very good.Create color maps and use zmapper to create normals and cavity maps.Then export ya model on its lowest subdiv with maps too max or maya.

Comment

Originally posted by DELTATHUND3R View Post
              You can create low poly meshes in zbrush just cant get them inro udk.
              I usally create a highpoly then either retopo and project details onto the new mesh.
              Or create high poly mesh, paint it up in zbrush..zbrush polypaint and projections are very good.Create color maps and use zmapper to create normals and cavity maps.Then export ya model on its lowest subdiv with maps too max or maya.
              ah yes, forgot about that, I don't retopo with zbrush it takes too long lol. I'm kinda assuming that OP doesn't know much about low poly and high poly and stuff like that, I'll just have to wait and see how knowledgeable he is.

Comment

I just started using Z-Brush this weekend, and I have to say I love it. The fact you don't need to be good at drawing, which I thought you did, to create some amazing meshes, is just awesome.

Comment

Zbrush should really only be used to generate normalmaps.

Comment

I usually generate normals.Displacments,cavitys,color maps in Zbrush..
                    Piranhi,Yea Zbrush is awsome .I would probably use Z everyday..It helps too have some drawing skills.But understanding anatomy is a must for decent characters.

nightFlarer..retopo in Z becomes really easy..Only pain is the fingers lol.
                    Also you could create a copy of ya highpoly,by simply creating a new polymesh"just clone mesh on low subd" and Projecting high res onto the low that.
                    Theres so so many diff work flows in Z..

Comment

Working...
                    X