Normal doesnt seem to show up in game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    open dark spire rock material (in un_cave) look how it was done there.

You can multiply your normal by some vector. and add tiny touch of fresnel and reflection. Just look how epic done nice materials.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Changed the lighting to direct one and effected the levels of the normal in PS.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I never liked the way bioshocked was designed anyway so .... lol

Like I said you need deeper normal maps.
    It's quite obvious from the material editor that normals are quite flat so... I'd suggest a tool like crazybump. By far the best tool for converting photo-textures into really deep normal maps. (Besides NVidia tools and manual normal mapping which is the best way of course).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ah I just found a freebie normal maker on the net. The nvidia plugin does not work with Photoshop CS4. In saying all of this, I was just looking at some screenshots of Bioshock 2 and their textures look really flat.. I mean the environment looks great, but there is a shot of some wood going up between some tracks and the wood is just flat as.

The light source is some just point lights for that last shot I posted.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    From what I can see from the shots you just need to make deeper normal maps.
    Especially for the stone texture.
    What kind of tools/technics do you use in order to generate your normals?

EDIT: what kind of light source are you using in-game

Leave a comment:

• replied
    here is another example;

Just not sure where to go next with the material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok I get the multiply by a vector part, when you say muck around with the red and green, what would you suggest?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You could try multiplying the normal map by a 3vector, muck around with the R & G channels to increase the detail.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Normal doesnt seem to show up in game

Normal doesnt seem to show up in game

Hey,

I am creating some basic objects just to test the look and the like. I bring in a Diff, spec and Normal and set it up as a basic material. In the material viewer there is obvious displacement with the normal map in place. When I assign the material to my object and look at it in game, the texture seems really really flat. Is there something else needing to be done other than assigning the material to the mesh object that will allow it to show its normal mapping better.

Thanks heaps.

S.

Working...
X