Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

3d Modelling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d Modelling

I'm kinda new to modelling, so what is the best program for 3d modelling?

I heard Maya and 3ds max, which one is easier to use?

I've used both for more than 10 years. Max is the way to go for polygon modeling.

Comment

Is there any good 3d modelling software that's free? I'm reading that 3ds max and maya cost thousands of dollars >.>

Comment

Indeed they're both quite expensive products but in my opinion they worth the money. The free way leads to Blender. It can do pretty much the same stuff as Max or Maya.

Comment

The thing is: Max/Maya/C4D and others are expensive because their development is not cheap. The software is industry standard and (nearly) free of bugs and flaws.

And here comes Blender: It's is Freeware, it's not developed by a paid (yes I know, it once was) team of programmers, it's made by people who like doing that in their freetime. You can't expect such high quality software there. One of the biggest flaws of Blender is (warning, opinion) the interface.

But you have to decide that. Give it a try

Comment

lightwave, modo, cinema4d, softimage, are all under 1000K USD, per seat. So that's cheap compared to the pricing of 3dMax and Maya packages.

Some fact based background about the manufacturer of 3dMax and Maya:
            when Maya was still owned by Avid, through subsidiary alias wavefront, they had a PLE version, and discounts all the time, since autodesk (formerly known as discreet), took over, they quickly abondoned those versions!
            it abuses the globaly utilization position of their products to drive up the prices to idiotic levels. Leaving the middle segment in the dark out of sudden. BAD business model, stopping creativity! the only thing they kept intact was softimage (pricing wise), feature wise, it's beyond maya.. but half of the maya/3dmax and global human race doesn't know this, since softimage is not much embedded in the 3d world as to 3dmax or maya (while it used to be strangely enough)

Then there was the competition! and their workhorses evolved quickly to beasts of huge magnitude:
            The cheaper packages of any importance, like mentioned, are identical in basic modeling/animation posibilities and basic renders/texturing (that's all you need in games mostly). For high quality renders for movies or commercials etc.. Even here the lower priced 3d packages, currently, are very very close behind maya (just 1 fingertop behind ) or beyond even at certain levels.
            Heck, more and more developers are shifting to these " cheap" packages, cos they have better gui's to the end user. (more innovative, where max and maya stay the same look and feel of the interface (except for some color changes and very few new icons here and there.. but the basic navigation remains the same antique way.)

conclusion:
            I don't say both MAX and MAYA are bad choices, heck no!
            But they are way too overpriced nowadays (2010 and future), if you look at the current competition.
            A few years back, then yes, it was rightly priced, since the competition was lightyears behind (excluding softimage), but that has rapidly changed.

Comment

The big three are Max, Maya and Softimage.
              Modtool is free (for non-commercial use). It's essentially a free version of Softimage, and has support for Unreal. It'd be my first choice.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

Comment

Alrighty thank you for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
                  when Maya was still owned by Avid, through subsidiary alias wavefront, they had a PLE version, and discounts all the time, since autodesk (formerly known as discreet), took over, they quickly abondoned those versions!
                  it abuses the globaly utilization position of their products to drive up the prices to idiotic levels. Leaving the middle segment in the dark out of sudden. BAD business model, stopping creativity! the only thing they kept intact was softimage (pricing wise), feature wise, it's beyond maya.. but half of the maya/3dmax and global human race doesn't know this, since softimage is not much embedded in the 3d world as to 3dmax or maya (while it used to be strangely enough)
                  Alias was never a subsidiary of Avid. And if you think about it, the two giants that are left in 2D and 3D graphics industry, Adobe and Autodesk, have the most pirated graphic app in Max and Photoshop. And now they swallowed everyone. So you have to wonder if piracy actually hurt these companies or actually helped them by increasing the user base. People may use pirated softwares for learning them but they would buy them when they use it for business.

And the original poster asked about modeling... polygon I assume. And I haven't tried it for 4 years but Softimage doesn't have a great track record for being a good modeler. I'm sure you can do sufficient modeling but Max is still the king in poly modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by saymoo View Post
                    lightwave, modo, cinema4d, softimage, are all under 1000K USD, per seat. So that's cheap compared to the pricing of 3dMax and Maya packages.

Then there was the competition! and their workhorses evolved quickly to beasts of huge magnitude:
                    The cheaper packages of any importance, like mentioned, are identical in basic modeling/animation posibilities and basic renders/texturing (that's all you need in games mostly). For high quality renders for movies or commercials etc.. Even here the lower priced 3d packages, currently, are very very close behind maya (just 1 fingertop behind ) or beyond even at certain levels.
                    Heck, more and more developers are shifting to these " cheap" packages, cos they have better gui's to the end user. (more innovative, where max and maya stay the same look and feel of the interface (except for some color changes and very few new icons here and there.. but the basic navigation remains the same antique way.)

conclusion:
                    I don't say both MAX and MAYA are bad choices, heck no!
                    But they are way too overpriced nowadays (2010 and future), if you look at the current competition.
                    A few years back, then yes, it was rightly priced, since the competition was lightyears behind (excluding softimage), but that has rapidly changed.
                    Actually, Maya's price isn't as bad as it used to be, and while the price of 3ds Max has always been the same, that's actually been a good thing considering all the stuff they keep on adding without increasing the price.

Plus if you're on subscription which is very cheap you get updates without any additional cost.

Also consider that 3ds Max has the largest user base which means there's a ton of learning material available, same thing to a lesser extent with Maya.

Comment

Originally posted by taz1004 View Post
                      Alias was never a subsidiary of Avid.
                      correct, i mixed up Softimage.

Comment

Been using Luxology modo for about an year and a half. For me, it's the best tool out there. Intuitive, robust. Blender is another good choice. Maya doesn't feel fluid for me. Students can get pretty good deals on 3D packages.

Autodesk Education Suite for Entertainment Creation 2010 is $349.98 for:
                        Autodesk 3ds Max 2010
                        Autodesk Maya 2010
                        Autodesk Softimage 2010
                        Autodesk MotionBuilder 2010
                        Autodesk Mudbox 2010

That's a good deal, Mudbox is pretty sweet, even though ZBrush seems to be more popular.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          Also consider that 3ds Max has the largest user base which means there's a ton of learning material available, same thing to a lesser extent with Maya.
                          that not exact. Maya and Max differs in the use and production movie don't really use max, at least from my experience.

Max is widely use in game development and archiviz and maya more for cg animation but since you want to model for udk go for max

One piece of advice don't overlook tutorial like max essential or such stuff like that. 3d modeling is a big deal but understand the tool is another a lot too.

Comment

I am using Blender, after having used Maya 8.5 at university and I have to say that I much prefer Blender interface and handling overall - it just takes some getting used to. Sure Maya has some more advanced tools, but for game modeling it is very often not necessary.

Comment

hmpf didn't know that softimage has actually a free version. Instant dl.
                              I tried blender and some other free modeller but I don't really get the hang on it.

Some time ago I had the chance to play with cinema4d around. I loved the interface and how easy I could learn that stuff.
                              but because of many people who were telling me that if I wanted to use models for a game I should use other software.. well.. tried others..stopped modelling.

Well, maybe softimage is going to satisfy my needs.. elswhere maybe I will get me a cinema4d at last.

but it's awesome that more and more high quality software gets a free license version.

Comment

Working...
                              X