Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] XSI : multiple uv/materials, how ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [Solved] XSI : multiple uv/materials, how ?

    Hello, I work on a desk lamp, and I need 3 materials.

    1 - Emissive, for the bulb
    2 - Alpha, for glass of the lamp
    3 - Other

    I succsefully make 3 different clusters for my model, but how to make 3 different uv from this cluster ?
    And how to cut my uv by selected edges (I used Roadkill for the uv wrapping before) ?



    I search on the documentation or on the web, but I cannot find how to do...
    And for the lightmap, I must create only one uv ?

    -----------------------

    Sory for this post ! :\
    I find how to :


    When you make "cluster", you must assign different materials (as phong/blinn) with xsi, when you export your mesh xsi change this material into part for UDK.
    For the uv :
    You can overlap your cluster because the uv is the same for all of the cluster. But you must separate your poly on the second uv because it's the lightmap (and only 1 uvmap is allowed for the lighmap uv channel).
    Thanks for Neptune : http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...7&postcount=17

    #2
    I succsefully make 3 different clusters for my model, but how to make 3 different uv from this cluster ?
    And how to cut my uv by selected edges (I used Roadkill for the uv wrapping before) ?
    Cluster is a group of subcomponents - that are: polygons, edges, poins, or texture vertices called samples. The texture projection (UV) is shared between them - you cannot assign a separate uv for each cluster and I see no reason why you should. They are also used (created automatically) to pass information to operators like deformers.

    When you make "cluster", you must assign different materials (as phong/blinn) with xsi, when you export your mesh xsi change this material into part for UDK.
    Only if you need multiple materials per mesh, otherwise don't have to. I don't use actorx, but it's probable, that it optimizes material list on export and if you got a single material+clusters in xsi you will have a single material slot in udk.

    You can overlap your cluster because the uv is the same for all of the cluster.
    Each UV projection is the same for entire mesh. For diffuse channel, if you got multiple materials/clusters you can move the texture vetices that belong to each of them beyond the typical 0-1 UV space for convenience. The UV for lightmap must be within the 0-1 bound because it's the only region of texture space (and actual memory) where you can write to.

    BTW: You can also create a polygon cluster by selecting polygons, pressing Ctrl+L, then dclick on the cluster's material to make it unique (not shared).

    Also note that it's possible to use more that 2 UV sets in UDK, though I have never needed more that 3.

    Comment


      #3
      For such a simple mesh you should create a single texture based on its UVs. It's not really wise to force a game engine loading 3 different materials just for rendering a simlle lamp light.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks for the answers !
        Originally posted by mslaf View Post
        Also note that it's possible to use more that 2 UV sets in UDK, though I have never needed more that 3.
        Hmmm, interresting, but how ?

        Originally posted by ThePriest909 View Post
        For such a simple mesh you should create a single texture based on its UVs. It's not really wise to force a game engine loading 3 different materials just for rendering a simlle lamp light.
        I agree, for a classic mesh, in a level, but this model is used for a cinematic, and I need a special lighting for have the best effect.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Froyok View Post
          Hmmm, interresting, but how ?
          The same way you create the 1st or the 2nd UV set. The real question is when do you need more that two UV sets or texture projection in SI terminology? I've used the 3rd one in UT3 engine version for decals applied on walls or similar shapes, but UDK claims, that it has a full support for lit and transparent materials applied over other materials, so I presume that you can stay with a single UV set for diffuse/spec/normal and optional overlays and another one for the lightmap.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by mslaf View Post
            The same way you create the 1st or the 2nd UV set. The real question is when do you need more that two UV sets or texture projection in SI terminology? I've used the 3rd one in UT3 engine version for decals applied on walls or similar shapes, but UDK claims, that it has a full support for lit and transparent materials applied over other materials, so I presume that you can stay with a single UV set for diffuse/spec/normal and optional overlays and another one for the lightmap.
            Yes, probably, it's was just for know how, for a next day, who know...
            Thanks !

            Comment

            Working...
            X