Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Normal and Specular maps look different in-game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I changed the light to dynamic and personally I see no difference. I'll just continue learning more about UDK, eventually I should get what I need. I would probably only use dynamic lighting in areas where's there's moving objects that cast cool shadows etc. instead of wasting it on a static spot, for static spots it's probably better to use baked lighting and maybe an increase in the lightmap detail for better shadows if the scene calls for it.

BTW, does anyone have the answer to my second question in the previous post I made? Thanks again.

Comment

I thought you meant your block cubes when you said blocks. To move the "nodes" in material editor, highlight it yellow by clicking on it (as you param node), then hold ctrl and click drag it. You can also select multiple by holding ctrl and alt and drawing a box. Then holding ctrl to move multiple nodes at once.

By the way, you should name your param nodes. If you have multiple vector parameter named "none" it would cause some problems.

And why were you trying to use dynamic light btw?

Comment

Originally posted by taz1004 View Post
        I thought you meant your block cubes when you said blocks. To move the "nodes" in material editor, highlight it yellow by clicking on it (as you param node), then hold ctrl and click drag it. You can also select multiple by holding ctrl and alt and drawing a box. Then holding ctrl to move multiple nodes at once.

By the way, you should name your param nodes. If you have multiple vector parameter named "none" it would cause some problems.

And why were you trying to use dynamic light btw?
        Several posts above said using dynamic light would give me the quality I was looking for or something better then what I have now.

Also thanks for the answer, I didn't know what to call them (the nodes).

Comment

Since you didn't know how to move the nodes, I assume that you haven't watched the 3DBuzz video tutorials. I highly recommend it as it will do much better job at explaining many of your questions better than me. You can just watch the materials tutorial first but I highly suggest going through all of them eventually.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=710137

You can get them here too... I think they're same tutorials.
          http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

Comment

As suggested, watch existing tuts/vids and here's a few smaller points:

- Your spec needs big boosting if you want that 3dsmax look, which brings me to point #1. Open up existing packages that have the effect you want and see what Epic typically does to boost it's spec maps. Always, always examine what Epic's already done for you.
            - What did you do to derive that spec map, it looks from a long distance like a very very barely modified diffuse map?
            - Tiny point, don't use TextureSample for your Normal Map. There is an explicit NormalMap texturesample node, use it. Learn to read the UDN's docs for info on stuff like this, such as this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NormalMapFormats.html
            - Same things apply for popping your normal map, check Epic's existing work, it's all right there for you to look through. If you want to subdue the blue if it's muddying your normal map, level it in photoshop and as recommended above, considering boosting your red and green.

Overall though, you're doing things more or less correct. You're just going to have to spend time manipulating your maps to get what you want. Real time shaders won't give you results all that similar to UE3 unfortunately, it's doing expensive stuff that won't happen in a "real" real-time engine

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll watch those video tutorials - I still remember watching countless of hours of 3ds Max tutorials and it worked great.

Comment

Your normal maps may be suffering from the compression of the DXT format: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/NormalMapFormats.html

The scratches and stuff seemed washed out and flat in your pics, that may be a consequence of the lighting since the box itself seems to have no discernible shadow direction.

Comment

Working...
                X