Translucent Material Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translucent Material Help Please

Hi, I've made a Flashlight for a project and have successfully imported with full maps. The Flashlight has a glass lens that is mapped for opacity and masking, to show details it would otherwise occlude (a globe, emissive materials, a light object). When i set up a basic material expression to map the textures to the mesh, everything is fine and dandy but i have to change the blend mode to get the opacity maps working. I change to translucent but then the entire model becomes see through not only the lens. In the material editor it works fine, but on the skeletal mesh it makes everything seethrough.

Is there a tutorial like a stained glass window or a car windshield effect out there that can help me? all i want is the glass to be translucent (it has normal map detail and specular detail, so not just seethrough) and the rest of the flashlight to remain solid. will i need additional materials maybe? or is there some technique of setting it up? it needs to be within the single skeletal mesh.

You should just map the glass with a translucent material and the rest of it opaque. So you use 2 materials. Translucent stuff are rendered different so you won't get the flash light to look right anyway by mapping the whole thing with a translucent material.

Comment

so how in udk can i blend the 2 materials onto the one skeletal mesh...?

Comment

You don't actually "blend" them. You use material id's so that you can use 2 channels and create 2 separate materials.

You do this inside the program you use to export from. So, in Max you go into sub object, face mode and select the polygons that is the flash light, make it channel 1 and then select the polygons for the glass and make it channel 2, then you apply a multi/sub material with 2 channels to the mesh. You apply for both channels a simple texture... even just a noise texture will work. Then you name channel 1 material "skin_00" and you name channel 2 material "skin_01".

When you export this, in UDK it will allow you to apply to separate materials to a single mesh.

Comment

Working...
        X