Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

placinf nonlit parts of mesh outside 0.0, 1.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

placinf nonlit parts of mesh outside 0.0, 1.1?

I have some meshes with polygons that is never going to be seen by the player so I thought what if I just put them out side the 0.0, 1.1 region to avoid loosing some of the uv space. In some cases I loose one whole edge.

Never seen anyone sugesting this "trick" but I thought I would try it and to my suprise it seems to work just fine. I expected unrealed would force the mesh to use vertex lighting but it didn't. It just warned about the invalid lightmap channel. Obviously the polygons not within 0.0,1.1 gets pretty random results but since I only have them there for occulssion and making the mesh easier to work with thats ok.

Now my question is if anyone else have tried this or can see any possible drawbacks to doing this. The only possible problem I can see is that it might mess with the lighmas result if these polygons is visible anywhere and happen to get a very bright pixel. But I don't know if it even uses a multipass solution that stores anything in lightmaps. Still I don't want to go back and redo the UV mapping on several hundreds of meshes if I find later that it causes a really bad side effect.

A follow up question is if only closed meshes is able occuled like in UT3? I can't seem to find any references to it in any of the UDK specific documentation. If it is no longer a requierment I might consider ditching the extra polygons on some meshes instead.

Edit: ****, if some mod feels like fixing the spelling in the title it's definatly ok with me.
Working...
X