Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Maya]Extracting faces causes Instanced geometry to disappear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Maya]Extracting faces causes Instanced geometry to disappear?

So I finally figured out how to model on one side of geometry and have it display on the other side as an instance in Maya, which is great. Duplicate special, instance, -1 scale on the X. For general modeling tasks it works fine, I move stuff on one side, it updates the other side. Works exactly like I'd expect it to.

However, when I try to extract/duplicate+extract faces from my main model, after I extract/duplicate+extract them, my instanced side disappears. I checked the graph of the scene, the actual instance is apparently still there (it didn't delete it from the scene), but is invisible and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it visible again or why it even went invisible? Any Maya users have any idea wtf is going on?

I recommend deleting the instanced side whenever you make complex operations on the main mesh. Making a new instance takes less than half a second, CTRL+SHIFT+D is your friend. It's also recommended to delete construction history once in a while.

Comment

Bah, I'm so used to Zbrush style stuff, I thought I'd finally found the equivalent in Maya. It allows for kind of "sculpting polys", like having symmetry on in Zbrush. I guess I'll just get used to Ctrl-Shift-D'n. Seems like a bug to me, especially since it's still there in the scene just suddenly rendered invisible :/ Thanks Denny, my Maya guru

Comment

Also always check normal position r they all pointing in the same way

Comment

Also back face culling can sometimes fubar it up when you are extracting faces as well, if you are using HQ viewport render it can have back face culling, or if you choose to have it on in the options.

Comment

Working...
          X