Proper method for skinning a weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hm, well thanks for this information, should be a great help.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sure it's the way i do it, if you check my UDK release you'll see the Bolter cocking handle moving when firering. just make sure you have it all linked correctly and that you only have the 1 objected selected when you do the animations

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheFreeman View Post
    Why do you not use bones? I don't use them because I have issues with things like the ejection port, where, say when I move the ejection port bone, because it's linked to the root bone, they all move. Using your method, would I have this issue?
    Um, have you considered building a more advanced rig that doesn't move everything when you move one bone? I honestly don't see why you can't do it with bones. Just make a new "arm" for your ejection port. In the link in my sig you can see me poorly animating my weapon (it was a first go), I think you just need to work on creating a rig that'll do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why do you not use bones? I don't use them because I have issues with things like the ejection port, where, say when I move the ejection port bone, because it's linked to the root bone, they all move. Using your method, would I have this issue?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i use max objects (simple pyramids) which i align to world (don't forget to align the pivots) and set these up where i need them like a normal bone rig, i do it this way as i always have problems lining up max bones

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am aware of the video tutorials provided by geodav, and although I appreciate that, I am on a 56k connection currently due to a stupid move by my room mate :P

All I want to know which is the best method for weapons, bones or dummies/helpers?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheFreeman View Post
    I would appreciate it if you elaborated on that a little more Geodav, thanks.
    http://sites.google.com/site/ut40kmo...ideo-tutorials

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would appreciate it if you elaborated on that a little more Geodav, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    to be honest do it my UT3 way if your using max, i find it's the easest way

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UDK recognizes bones so use those. They're the same essential thing as a dummy helper plus you can assign sockets to them for attaching things later.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Proper method for skinning a weapon?

Proper method for skinning a weapon?

I have found no substantial tutorials on this subject and it is very frustrating.

Some people say to use bones and others say use helpers, or dummies. For my particular weapons, I have things like ejection ports, switches among other things, which bones are not very useful for. My main concern with using helpers/dummies is that I'm not sure if the UDK will recognize them as bones.

If anybody could help me in this matter that would be great, Thanks!

TheFreeman
Working...
X